Artificial intelligence and machine learning: Meet the grad taking on banking in Manchester

Obviously, he loves Warehouse Project

Hide Images

It’s natural to be indecisive about which pathway to choose after uni – where can you find a job that offers responsibility, career progression, but also a social life you can afford? Well, it turns out, up North.

We spoke to a graduate working for Lloyds Banking Group on what it’s like working in Manchester alongside the latest innovations in finance and tech.

Discover a world of career opportunities from Tech to Business Analysis – apply to Lloyds Banking Group’s Graduate Leadership Programme

James Hope, History grad, Sussex University

James also studied at the University of California, Berkeley

Banking was never the path I imagined for my career as I’d studied History. Among thousands of other applicants, Lloyds Banking Group made it clear from the start that there was no bias towards accountancy-based degrees – Art History grads would be just as welcome. I do a professional qualification alongside my work, so there’s continual support.

With Lloyds Banking Group, there’s the chance to work in cities across the UK in different departments. When I moved to Manchester for my current rotation I knew my quality of life would be way better here than anywhere else. It’s much cheaper and you can live in a big house for a fraction of the price elsewhere. Equally, there’s no lack of bars, restaurants, shopping or anything else you need.

Work in cities like Manchester and Bristol with training including TED-style talks and innovation labs – apply to Lloyds Banking Group’s Graduate Leadership Programme today 

Lloyds Banking Group’s Graduate Christmas party

You’re among 400 other grads so there’s a real young professional community here. Manchester has the Warehouse Project, loads of live music venues and an abundance of watering holes where you don’t need to break the bank on a night out.

I’ve been to boat parties, attended pub rallies, and joined organisations such as the Group’s Rainbow Network for LGBT rights as an ally, Breakthrough for gender equality, Access (disability support) and Reach (racial equality). It’s honestly like being a student again – you’re constantly surrounded by young, aspirational people.

You don’t need to have a finance degree to be at the forefront of banking – apply for Lloyds Banking Group’s Graduate Leadership Programme and begin discovering where you could go with Finance

Career-wise, I’ve never felt stagnant or bored here in Manchester. In my first year, I presented product demos to senior stakeholders, went to lunch with Antonio Lorenzo (one of the Group’s directors) and I interviewed Robin Bulloch (Managing Director of Lloyds Bank). The possibilities are endless and there’s a lot more opportunity to grow as it’s not oversaturated.

Lloyds Banking Group’s Bristol pub rally

During my first few months in Lloyds Banking Group, I was in their tech innovation lab in Bristol, using tech like machine learning and artificial intelligence. I’m now Assistant Bank Manager for the newly opened Manchester flagship branch. I also run our internal social media and collaboration tool, Hive.

Upstairs we have our Business Hub which customers can use as a free place to work and network, and converts into a large event space in the evening. So far we’ve hosted big tech names in this space such as Google and Cisco and these events are all open to the public.

To work for Lloyds Banking Group, you’ve got to have a willingness to try new things. Across each strand of the business I’ve worked in, the faith in my potential has been staggering. I plan to stay here for the long term.

Join a nationwide network of grads shaping how you manage your money in new, innovative ways – apply to Lloyds Banking Group’s Graduate Leadership Programme today