We spoke to the UK’s hottest student creatives about their latest big projects

Their Instas must be popping

There’s no question university is the best time to let your talents flourish, so we wanted to find the people who are going the extra mile to do this.

We scoured the UK to find the cream of the creative crop; those who’ve pushed their talents to the next level, publishing their work and selling their brand with finesse.

Are you a creative looking to hone your craft during your studies? Get advice from the UK’s youngest creative experts with Adobe’s Made By You talks and events

Sophie Lawrence, Illustrator, Bournemouth

Sophie has found success publishing her illustrations online. Her work explores social issues through colourful palettes and cartoon style aesthetics.

What are you currently working on?

I’m working on a series of political tarot cards including Donald Trump, Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn. I bring a lot of social issues into my work using symbolism; feminism, women’s rights, racial identity.

How and when did you start illustrating?

As a kid I was always doodling. I don’t really have anyone creative in my family so it was quite organic. My uni course encouraged me to become a practising illustrator as soon as I rocked up; having my own blog, utilising Instagram, and selling my art as much as I can.

Adobe are coming to your city and holding talks with the UK’s leading young creatives, from graphics to startups – sign up today

What’s your process and what tools do you typically use for your work?

I try to do a range of different things to keep it fresh. I’ll usually do a sketch in pencil, then I’ll scan it into the computer and use Photoshop to input the colour. I do a lot of digital art, but it usually starts off traditionally.

What advice would you give to students looking to start their own creative venture?

Don’t give up on your art. I’ve lacked confidence in the past but if you have that passion then keep it burning. Also, utilise the technology you have around you. Instagram has enabled illustrators to create their own brands with ease.

The country’s leading young entrepreneurs are coming to a campus near you for Adobe’s Made By You campaign – sign up today to create your own success story

Louis Haynes & Jake Mac, Founders of Cluny MCR Magazine, Manchester

Louis and Jake run Cluny MCR, an online and print platform that showcases work across Manchester from mixtapes to film. 

How did Cluny MCR come about?

Louis: The original idea was just to do an online monthly digest of what’s going on in the city in terms of art.

Jake: We did our first four issues online then our first print issue was The Love Issue in February. The name came from Cluny The Scourge, a character in a series of children’s novels called the Redwall Series.

What’s the process of creating the magazine?

Jake: All 3 issues reflect the period of the year we’re at. We cover visual arts as well music and writing. I take control of the visual side, while Louis covers writing and music. We cover all our costs, selling merchandise and books along with throwing parties to raise funds.

The Love Issue, February 2017

Louis and Jake have turned their love for art into something physical – sign up for Adobe’s Made By You talks to get the expert advice you need

What are the plans for the future?

Louis: We see it expanding out into other cities. You could have a Cluny Bristol, Cluny Leeds, and so on.

Jake: The next issue is called The Glad & Sorry Issue. We’ll be implementing augmented reality to this issue; a way of altering your perception of reality through technology. The reader will be able to use a mobile application on the magazine and the artist will be speaking to them.

Louis: While you’re studying and have free time along with a little disposable money, you should explore your city. There’s always a place for you within a scene, whatever idea you have. Get to know people and back your own vision.

The Love Issue, February 2017

You can keep up with CLUNY MCR via their instagram @clunymcr

Adobe are offering students the chance to gain genuine knowledge from the UK’s leading innovators – sign up to their Made By You talks and learn how you can get ahead during your studies

Kim Lundgren, Graphic designer, Leeds

Kim has secured herself a design internship in Amsterdam and has an exhibition of her work in Leeds this year. 

What are you currently working on?

At the moment I’m working via Skype with my friend in Sweden to create publications of the work that we did on a trip around Scandinavia. We have an exhibition of that in April in Leeds.

How and when did you get started in design?

My grandad was a painter so I grew up doing a lot of drawing. I studied at art school before university – it was here that I was introduced to Photoshop. We were given briefs stemming from commercial projects to photography work. Design is everywhere; even in our Road Sign System. I’ve always taken inspiration from everyday things.

Sign up for Adobe’s Made By You talks and get advice in graphics, illustration, entrepreneurship and much more

Which is your favourite project that you’ve worked on?

My latest project, named Identitet, is based on Swedish identity. The whole project stemmed from Brexit – I was trying to highlight the importance of different people contributing to one society. My family are half Swedish so I used archived images from my family albums, delving into the theme of Scandinavian design.

Subscribe to creative blogs and newsletters. Go to a visiting lecturer’s talk as you have to pay for these things once you leave uni. Follow your passion, delve around the subject, and always question everything.

From ‘Identitet’

Get the creative boost you need from the UK’s DIY pioneers – sign up for Adobe’s Made By You talks and get advice across a number of fields, from social media to student business

Alexander Lamb, Founder of Avenue Skateboards, Manchester Metropolitan

Alexander has been selling and designing skatewear for the past five years under his brand, Avenue Skateboards. He has a background in film and photography.

How did Avenue Skateboards come about?

I’d been producing videos and photos for a while and decided I was going to create a brand of my own. I came up with the name Avenue looking through an old Joy Division book. I produced the logo and our first run of stickers and t-shirts. Now, I’m doing four releases a year. 

What are the plans for the future?

I’ve got a huge release for Autumn coming out; boards, clothing, and our first run of rain jackets. With the amount of turnover, we’re looking to expand and hire a couple more people. We’re doing a lot more fashion based stuff, within skating of course.

Want to start your own brand from scratch like Alexander? Sign up to Adobe’s Made By You campus talks and learn everything you need from marketing to brand management

I’ll do mock-up designs on Illustrator or Photoshop and then I’ll do some pre-testing. It can take anywhere from a few hours to a few weeks. I also do collaborations; recently I produced three board graphics with my friend Luca from London. We had art collectors as far as Hawaii buying the set.

Be prepared to put the work in while your mates are going out. Do a lot of research and don’t be afraid to ask for help. Get a good group of people behind you and never listen to people who hate on you.

Learn from the likes of Stephen Bartlett and the former art director of Boiler Room on how to shape your creative empire during your studies – sign up to Adobe’s Made By You talks today

Jack Goozee, Founder of Gooztees, Sheffield

Jack runs Gooztees, a fashion brand that includes his own illustrations and designs.

How did Gooz Tees come about?

Illustrating was always just my hobby before this. I set up an Instagram account of my work and quickly people were asking for t-shirt designs. My friend Henry helped me with the setup costs, and within an evening we’d set up a limited company. 

What are the plans for the future?

I’m working with a radio station in Sheffield doing some limited edition designs for them. I’m always interested in doing designs for posters and prints as there’s less back and forth.

Get the knowledge you need from the UK’s leading young innovators on how to create your own brand with Adobe’s Made By You campus talks 

I’ll basically sketch something out on paper then zoom in on a portion of the drawing on my iPad, then I’ll trace over it with a stylus. I’ll transfer it to Adobe and mess with the layers. I’ll then add some colour using Illustrator before sending it to be screen printed.

Don’t worry too much about the details. Forget about the ‘right’ way of doing things. I think people lose sleep if they worry about what other people think all the time.

Adobe are offering you the chance to get invaluable advice from the UK’s leading creatives – sign up for their Made By You talks today and put your idea into fruition during your studies