Every single predictable thing you’ll understand if you study History

No we can’t recite all the kings and queens of England

A lot of people think History is a dull degree for dull people and that we spend our lives holed up in dusty libraries, traipsing round museums or talking about wars. Which is kind of true. But not everything in a historian’s life is so predictable.

There’s no need for a gym membership when we’re constantly lugging around massive piles of books and notes

Walking home after giving our library cards an absolute hammering is a lot like climbing Everest. All these primary sources got us ready to hit the beach.

Everyone asks us what we can do with a History degree

Errrrrr, studying History actually has mad transferrable skills – we have to be super analytical, solid writers, organised, etc. etc. etc. This stuff is CV gold.

History starts repeating itself in daily life

“Ahaha doesn’t Jack ‘forgetting’ to buy his round really remind you of the 1781 Connecticut Loyalist Tax Resistance, guys?!” Stony faces all round. If this had been our seminar group everyone would have absolutely cracked up.

Show off those analytical skills – apply for J.P. Morgan’s Investment Banking Analyst Program today

We’re not even a little bit jealous of friends who don’t have essays or dissertations – like, not at all

Oh you only have to draw a graph and do a group presentation for your finals? How DIFFICULT. Sorry gtg back to the 15,000 word book that we’re writing, because that seems fair.

We love a good debate, even if nobody else does

It’s just weird how no one appreciates how opinionated we are. Especially after an afternoon at the union bar.

We feel super legit when we use the microfilm machine 

It makes us feel like we’re in a cool old film, even if it does give us motion sickness – millions of words whizzing past at lightning speed while our eyes try to focus fast enough to find the source we’re looking for? Pure nausea.

J.P. Morgan wants driven and organised grads to join its internship programs – apply here

We feel 1000 years old every time our tutor refers to us as ‘Historians’

Never mind that we’re sitting in this seminar covered in Adidas, hearing that magic word makes us feel like we should be dressed up in horn-rimmed glasses and tweed blazers.

Trying to find any reasonably diverse module is nigh-on impossible

And everyone will fight to the death to enrol on the ones that we can find. Sorry, but there’s only so much Cold War chat a person can stand.

Watching a documentary definitely counts as revision 

Pictures speak a thousand words, so watching an hour-long doc is the same as reading, like, 50 books, right?

J.P. Morgan wants super organised History students to apply for its Global Treasury Management Program – find out more here

Self-teaching becomes a massive skill 

Only having three contact hours a week means that History students are absolute masters of time management. We have to be when lectures are like gold dust.

So we have to read so much it feels like our eyes will fall out of our heads

The prep set by History tutors is no joke. It’s where that library-hermit stereotype stems from. We literally live here.

And we’re sick and tired of everyone asking us to reel off dates

I might just record myself saying “1066” and play it whenever anyone asks me about the stupid Battle of Hastings. Because they always, always do.

J.P. Morgan wants well-rounded History students to apply for its internship opportunities

Find out what’s on offer here