Meet the new sports captains for Manchester

Forget the bucket hats for a moment

Manchester may be a sea of house parties and techno DJ’s, but let’s not forget the abundance of sporting talent.

We’ve put together a list of this year’s captains so you know who to go to if you’re looking to rep the purple.

Looking for a challenge after uni? Do you have the drive to go the distance? Apply for Teach First’s Leadership Development Programme today

Football 

Max Thompson, 3rd year, Law (Men’s 1st Team Captain)

Where do you live? Fallowfield.

What’s your favourite night? Quids in on a Monday at Factory.

What are you currently lifting in the gym? Bench 75kg, deadlift 100kg, and squat 80kg.

Do you have any pre-match rituals? I’ll always have beans on toast and I’ll always have to be last out the changing rooms.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I played for Arsenal Youth Academy and Chelsea Youth Academy.

Megan Clarkson, 2nd year, Dentistry (Women’s 1st Team Captain)

Where do you live? Fallowfield.

What’s your favourite night? Anywhere on a Friday.

What are you currently lifting in the gym? I squat about 80kg for 1rm.

Do you have any pre-match rituals? I always foam roll before a match.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I’m a Karaoke pro.

Basketball

Niamh Gormley, 2nd year, Maths and Physics (Women’s 1st Team Captain)

Where do you live? Fallowfield.

What’s your favourite night? AU socials.

What are you currently lifting in the gym? I bench around 50-60kg.

Do you have any pre-match rituals? I always have to have chewing gum before a game.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I played the viola for 10 years and performed in Berlin with my Orchestra.

Naimh is dedicated to the success of her team, are you? Apply for Teach First’s Leadership Development Programme and put your leadership skills to use  

Athletics

Jordan Foley, 4th year, Medicine (Men’s captain)

Where do you live? Curry Mile, Rusholme.

What are you currently lifting in the gym? Bench 60kg and squat 120kg.

Do you have any pre-match rituals? Emptying out the beach of sand from my shoes.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I can say “let’s go” in six different languages.

Ella Widdop-Gray, 3rd year, Law (Women’s captain)

Where do you live? Fallowfield.

What’s your favourite night? Staying in watching Bakeoff.

Do you have any pre-match rituals? I smooth my eyebrows before every jump.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I was a Wimbledon ball girl for 2 years.

Netball

Katie Lee, 3rd year, Law (Club Captain)

Where do you live? Fallowfield.

What are you currently lifting in the gym? I squat 60kg and deadlift approximately 100kg.

Do you have any pre-match rituals? Coffee, carbs, and Spotify.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I played England U16 and U17 with bronze honours.

Katie is always putting in the hard graft to her training and for her team – apply to Teach First and use your determination to help young people

Rugby Union

Charlie Reed, 3rd year, Sociology (Men’s 1st Team Captain)

Charlie (Left)

Where do you live? Fallowfield.

What’s your favourite night? Quids In at Factory.

What are you currently lifting in the gym? I bench 120kg and squat 180kg.

Tell us something interesting about you: I play for the Sale Sharks and I’m 1 of 6 children.

Helen Brown, 3rd year, History (Women’s 1st Team Captain)

Where do you live? Fallowfield.

What’s your favourite night? Warehouse Project of course, or Fifth Avenue for a cheap and cheesy night.

Do you have any pre-match rituals? Plaiting my hair – it lets me focus on the game ahead.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: Some of the girls and I are currently being featured in a McCain television advert.

Take the biggest challenge yet – apply for Teach First’s Leadership Development Programme and put your skills to the test

Hockey

Nick Fennell, 3rd year, Materials Science and Engineering (Men’s 1st Team Captain)

Where do you live? Fallowfield.

What’s your favourite night? Any night at Hidden.

Do you have any pre-match rituals? I always have to have a big chicken pasta the night before.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I haven’t scored a league goal in 4 years.

Rebecca Neary, 3rd year, Psychology (Women’s 1st Team Captain)

Rebecca (left)

Where do you live? Fallowfield.

What’s your favourite night? AU nights obviously.

Do you have any pre-match rituals? Eating 5 blue smarties and a red starburst while listening to ‘Eye Of The Tiger’.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I probably drink an average of 10 cups of tea a day.

Rebecca goes above and beyond for her team, every game – if you continually go the extra mile for your team then apply for Teach First’s Leadership Development Programme

Lacrosse

Oli Loveland, 2nd year, Medicine (Men’s 1st Team Captain)

Where do you live? Withington.

What’s your favourite night? Any night at Hidden.

What are you currently lifting in the gym? Bench 105kg, squat 130kg and deadlift 160kg.

Do you have any pre-match rituals? I have to have a can of red bull.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I was in the background of a Shameless episode.

Honor Grant, 3rd year, English Literature and Drama (Women’s 1st Team Captain)

Where do you live? Fallowfield.

What’s your favourite night? AU socials on Wednesday (RIP 256).

Do you have any pre-match rituals? Pasta party with the team the night before.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I’ve played club and county for nearly ten years.

Want to work with a great team as well as lead your own classes? Apply to Teach First and join a network of graduates finding their potential

Rowing

Miles McEwen, 2nd year, Materials Science & Engineering (Men’s captain)

Where do you live? Withington.

What are you currently lifting in the gym? Deadlift 130kg and squat 105kg.

Do you have any pre-match rituals? I slap my thighs on the start line of any race.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I have the world’s worst short-term memory.

Alice Peachey, 3rd year, Law with Politics (Women’s Captain)

Alice (Left)

Where do you live? Fallowfield.

What’s your favourite night? Motherfunkers at Antwerp Mansion.

What are you currently lifting in the gym? Bench 25kg, deadlift 70kg and squat 65kg.

Do you have any pre-match rituals? Eating a bucket of pesto pasta.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I’m distantly related to Nicole Kidman.

Teach First’s Leadership Development Programme will help you get ahead and make a difference to the lives of young people – apply today