Meet the new sports captains for Birmingham

Selly Oak’s fittest and finest

With a new sports centre opened this year that is undoubtedly fire, there’s a lot to look forward to when it comes to sport at UoB.

We’ve put together a list of the incoming sports captains for this year for you to get familiar with.

Take the biggest challenge yet – apply for Teach First’s Leadership Development Programme and put your skills to the test

Football

Nitin Mishra, 4th year, Business Management (Men’s 1st Team Captain)

Where do you live? Selly Oak.

What’s your favourite night? Sports nights at The Guild.

What are you currently lifting in the gym? Squat 110kg.

Do you have any pre-match rituals? I put my right boot on before the left.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: My first name is spelt the same way backwards.

Josie Cottam, 3rd year, Sports & Physical Education (Women’s Club Captain)

Where do you live? Selly Oak on Rookery.

What’s your favourite night? Sports Night on tour is favourite night.

What are you currently lifting in the gym? Squat 50kg.

Do you have any pre-match rituals? Eating a banana and washing my boots.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I’ve played at Old Trafford.

Josie knows the importance of teamwork while pushing herself beyond her own limits – if you’re looking for a place to excel, apply for Teach First’s Leadership Development Programme today

Rugby Union

Bill Fisher, 3rd year, Economics (Men’s 1st Team Captain)

Bill Fisher (Left)

What’s your favourite night? Sports Night.

Do you have any pre-match rituals? I make sure to have a lie in.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: Gareth Bale is my second cousin.

Jas Clarke, 3rd year, International Relations with Political Science (Women’s 1st Team Captain)

Where do you live? Selly Oak

What’s your favourite night? Sports Night!

What are you currently lifting in the gym? Bench 35kg and squat 60kg.

Do you have any pre-match rituals? Listening to my game day playlist and zoning out.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I used to race competitively in T15 windsurfing championships.

Looking for a challenge after uni? Apply to Teach First and get paid to develop your leadership skills

Netball

Lucy Hoskin, 3rd year, Sport and Exercise Science (Club Captain)

Where do you live? Selly Oak.

What are you currently lifting in the gym? Deadlift 60kg and squat 75kg.

Do you have any pre-match rituals? Taping up any injuries and locking into my headphones.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I can move my ears without touching them.

Hockey

Jack Clee, 3rd year, History (Men’s 1st Team Captain)

Where do you live? Selly Oak.

What’s your favourite night? An early one.

What are you currently lifting in the gym? Deadlift 125kg and squat 105kg.

Do you have any pre-match rituals? Pasta sandwich.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I played England U21, and in 2001 I was a mascot in the Football League Second Division play-off final between Walsall and Reading at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff.

Flora Peel, 3rd year, Law (Women’s 1st Team Captain)

Flora (Left)

Where do you live? Selly Oak.

What’s your favourite night? It’d be wrong if I didn’t say Sports Night!

What are you currently lifting in the gym? Squat we usually do 80kg for 10 reps – but that’s a guess.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I was also GB Skiing. My great (X4) grandad was prime minister Sir Robert Peel.

Flora is an inspirational leader who pushes her team beyond their expectations, are you? Apply to Teach First and put your ambition to good use

Athletics

Matt Curtis, 4th year, Materials Engineering (Men’s Track and Field Captain)

Where do you live? Selly Oak.

What are you currently lifting in the gym? It’s a secret.

Tell us something interesting about you: I’m a two-time BUCS medallist, 4×200 (indoors) and 4×400 relays.

Ella Shirley, 3rd year, Sports Science (Women’s Cross Country Captain)

Ella (Middle)

Where do you live? Luton Road, Selly Oak.

What’s your favourite night? BUCS cross country after party with all the uni teams.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: My auntie won two Commonwealth Games medals.

Always leading the pack like Ella? Put your hard work to good use and apply for Teach First’s Leadership Development Programme

Basketball

Elliot Sparrow, 3rd year, Sports and Materials Science (Men’s Club Captain)

Where do you live? Selly Oak.

What are you currently lifting in the gym? Bench 75kg (basketball priorities), deadlift 180kg and squat 115kg.

Do you have any pre-match rituals? I always wear my skins under clothes before I get changed into kit.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I was born with a hole in my heart.

Nia Demming, 3rd year, International Relations (Women’s Club Captain)

Where do you live? Selly Oak.

What’s your favourite night? Sports Night Wednesdays at The Guild.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I’m originally from Costa Rica.

Inspiring leaders like Nia and Elliot constantly strive for their team’s success – if you’ve got what it takes then apply for Teach First’s Leadership Development Programme

Lacrosse

Jack Walker, 3rd year, BSc Economics (Men’s 1st Team Captain)

Where do you live? Selly Oak.

What’s your favourite night? Sports Night.

Do you have any pre-match rituals? Half-hour stretching when I wake up with Kisstory radio on in the background.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I can ride a unicycle and I also build websites.

Taya Jackson, 3rd year, Politics & Rozy Baynham, 3rd year, Sports Science (Women’s 1st Team Co-Captains)

Where are you two living? Together in Selly Oak.

What’s your favourite night? Sports night/welcome drinks.

Do you have any pre-match rituals? Stick agility ladders to ‘Fight Song’.

Interesting fact: Before uni, we played against each other in every international game.

Teach First’s Leadership Development Programme will enable you to get ahead and make a difference to the lives of young people – apply today