Meet the new sports captains for Durham

Catch ’em in Wiff Waff

Durham is proof that the South is overrated. We get the prestige of being at Oxbridge level, but with the bonus of cheaper rent. It’s also the elite of the North, leagues above Newcastle and with far more finesse than Manchester, Leeds or Sheffield.

We also dominate the sporting field across the board, so we’ve put together a list of the incoming captains for this year so you know who to look out for in palantine purple.

Want your graduate job to have an impact? Looking for a challenge after uni? Apply to Teach First to take the first leap of your career 

Rugby Union

Elliot Manley, 3rd year, History & Education (Men’s Club Captain)

Elliot (Left)

Where do you live? The Cottage.

What’s your favourite night? A Wednesday after a sports win, and a cookie dough carb social the night before.

What are you currently lifting in the gym? Bench 100kg and deadlift 150kg.

Do you have any pre-match rituals? Big Hits highlights for breakfast – Brad Barritt specialties!

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I was the starring role in the 2009 IRB Sevens Olympic promo video in their bid to get Rugby Sevens in the Olympics for Rio 2016.

Liddie S Harris, 3rd year, Sports, Exercise and Physical Education (Women’s Club Captain)

Where do you live? Crossgate.

What’s your favourite night? Jimmy’s.

What are you currently lifting in the gym? Bench 77.5kg, deadlift 135kg, and squat 100kg.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I represented England U19 in Cricket before uni.

Apply for Teach First’s Leadership Development Programme to develop as a leader, and gain transferable skills for your future

Football

James Fairbrother, 2nd year, Philosophy (Men’s Club Captain)

Where do you live? Near the New Inn.

What’s your favourite night? Club Tie Bailey bar crawl then Missoula.

What are you currently lifting in the gym? Bench 95kg and squat 105kg. I can’t remember what I was deadlifting because I’ve been injured for 12 months, but probably would’ve been around a billion kg.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I’m the resident Enrique Iglesias impersonator for DUAFC. Got the voice but not the looks.

Emma Durham, 3rd year, Biological Sciences (Women’s Club Co-Captain)

Where do you live? Science site area.

What’s your favourite night? Wednesday sports night.

What are you currently lifting in the gym? 60kg on a good day.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I met Prince Philip at St James’ Palace.

Sasha Adamson, 3rd year, Geography, Economics and Politics (Women’s Club Co-Captain)

Where do you live? The Avenue.

What’s your favourite night? Wednesday DUWAFC socials.

What are you currently lifting in the gym? Squat 60kg.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I can do ten back springs in a row.

Emma and Sasha are always working hard to gain success for their team – apply to Teach First and exceed the expectations of your grad job

Netball

Bryony Freer, 3rd year, Physical Geography (Club Captain)

Where do you live? The Viaduct.

What’s your favourite night? Shack Wednesdays (RIP).

Do you have any pre-match rituals? Being quizmaster for a competitive match of pointless on the bus to the game.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: Two years of DUNC cured my alcohol allergy.

Hockey

Jack Turner, 2nd year, Natural Sciences (Men’s 1st Team Captain)

Where do you live? The Avenue.

What’s your favourite night? Wednesdays in Shack used to be my go-to, but now that’s gone I can’t see past a Jimmy’s.

What are you currently lifting in the gym? Squat 231.4kg, and deadlift 310kg.

Do you have any pre-match rituals? Left shinpad on before the right.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I played for England U21 and I wasn’t nominated for fittest fresher but my mum thought I should have been.

Emily Kilner, 2nd year, History and Spanish (Women’s 1st Team Captain)

Where do you live? Maiden Castle.

What’s your favourite night? Shack (RIP).

What are you currently lifting in the gym? 40-45kg.

Do you have any pre-match rituals? Always coffee before Hockey.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I played for England U21 and I’m half Kiwi.

Apply for Teach First’s Leadership Development Programme and make the first step forward in your career while leading a class of your own

Athletics

Will Ritchie-Moulin, 3rd year, History and International Relations (Men’s Captain)

Will Ritchie-Moulin (right)

Where do you live? Gladstone Villas.

What’s your favourite night? Shack Wednesdays, but we’ll see this year.

What are you currently lifting in the gym? Bench 65kg, deadlift 140kg and squat 130kg.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I was once caught face to face with a juvenile orangutan and the guide’s only advice as it started to chase me was to run as fast as possible in the other direction.

Basketball

George Greenhaugh, 3rd year, Economics (Men’s Club Captain)

Where do you live? Hallgarth Street.

What’s your favourite night? Lloyds Wednesday.

What are you currently lifting in the gym? Bench 75 kg, deadlift 110kg and squat 100kg.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I used to be an orange picker in Australia.

Always reaching for new heights like George? Apply to Teach First and get the transferable skills you need to get to the top

Lacrosse

Matt Kemp, 3rd year, Geophysics with Geology (Men’s Club Captain)

Where do you live? Whinney Hill.

What’s your favourite night? Anywhere on a Wednesday.

What are you currently lifting in the gym? Bench 102.5kg, deadlift 155kg and squat 140kg.

Do you have any pre-match rituals? Making sure the changing room tunes are on point.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I only play defence because I’ve never been able to score.

Iona Dryden, 3rd year, Anthropology (Women’s 1st Team Co-Captain)

Iona (Left)

Where do you live? Crossgate (the better side of town).

What’s your favourite night? Shack Wednesdays – RIP to that.

Do you have any pre-match rituals? Emma Adam’s locker room playlist.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I lived in Chicago for a year playing a season for the Northwestern Wildcats (during one of my two gap years).

Freya Savage, 3rd year, Geography (Women’s 1st Team Co-Captain)

Where do you live? Crossgate.

What’s your favourite night? Wednesday Socials, RIP Shack.

What are you currently lifting in the gym? It’s too early on in the season to ask.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I played in the Senior England Squad and I failed my first driving test turning out of the test centre.

Take the biggest challenge yet – apply to Teach First and put your leadership skills to the test

Rowing

Oscar Lindsay, 2nd year, Geography (Men’s Captain)

Where do you live? New Elvet.

What’s your favourite night? Loveshack RIP.

What are you currently lifting in the gym? Bench 87.5kg, deadlift 175kg and squat 155kg.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I was silver medalist for the Junior World Championship 2016.

Helena Barton, 3rd year, Natural Sciences (Women’s Captain)

Helena Barton (Right)

Where do you live? Church street.

What’s your favourite night? Klute/ Fabios.

What are you currently lifting in the gym? Deadlift 100kg and squat 75kg.

Do you have any pre-match rituals? Porridge, stretching and racing plaits.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I’m part of the GB university rowing team.

Teach First’s Leadership Development Programme will help you get ahead and make a difference to the lives of young people – apply today