Meet the new sports captains for Bristol

UWE? Don’t make me laugh

Bristol is definitely the South’s bit of edge, with hareem pants flooding through the streets all the way to Thekla. But that doesn’t mean we don’t love a kick about or a spot of Lacrosse. In fact, we’re pretty good at this sporting thing.

We’ve put together a list of this year’s incoming sports captains so you know who to watch out for when you start.

Looking for something outside of your standard office job? Apply for Teach First’s Leadership Development Programme and get paid to be a leader

Rugby Union

Owain Ellis, 2nd year, Medicine (Men’s Club Captain)

Owain (left)

Where do you live? Redland.

What’s your favourite night? Lola Lo’s.

What are you currently lifting in the gym? Bench 105kg and squat 125kg.

Do you have any pre-match rituals? I sleep with a rugby ball before every game.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I was in a film about Paul Potts’s life when I was younger.

Lucy Andrews, 3rd year, Medicine (Women’s 1st Team Captain)

Lucy (middle)

Where do you live? Clifton.

What’s your favourite night? Bunker Sports Night.

What are you currently lifting in the gym? Squat 50kg.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I can rap ‘Dance Wiv Me’ better than Dizzee himself.

Owain and Lucy are always going the extra mile for their team, are you? Apply to Teach First and get paid to lead your own classes 

Football

Matt Isaacs, 3rd year, Economics (Men’s Club Captain)

Where do you live? Flats.

What are you currently lifting in the gym? Bench not that much, deadlift a little bit more and squat slightly more again.

Do you have any pre-match rituals? I tap the closest looking thing to the ‘This is Anfield’ sign on the way out of the changing rooms.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I was the fastest schoolboy for my age in Worthing for years 4, 5 and 6.

Amy Brook, 2nd year, Geography (Women’s Club Captain)

Where do you live? Clifton.

What’s your favourite night? Sports Night.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I was in the 99th percentile for weight when I was born.

Netball

Lynda Onuoha, 2nd year, Cellular and Molecular Medicine (Club Captain)

Where do you live? Clifton.

What’s your favourite night? Boogie Nights.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: It’s my fifth year in the club and this will be my second year coaching the 3rd/4th teams.

Lynda is always helping her team reach new heights – apply to Teach First and begin discovering your potential in a job with huge variety 

Hockey

Jacob Vincent, 3rd year, Economics & Management (Men’s 1st Team Captain)

Where do you live? Whiteladies Road.

What’s your favourite night? Tuesday Lola Lo’s.

Do you have any pre-match rituals? Left then right shin pad.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I came 3rd in England Cricket’s U15 National Club Championship and Bronze 1 on FIFA 17 weekend league.

Katherine Round, 3rd year, Civil Engineering (Women’s 1st Team Captain)

Where do you live? Cotham Hill.

What’s your favourite night? Sports Night (obvs).

What are you currently lifting in the gym? I can’t deadlift but I squat a lot.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I cycled 900 miles through Italy to raise money for WaterAid.

Athletics

Ben Burgess Smith, 3rd year, Classics (Men’s Captain)

Where do you live? Tyndall Park Road.

What’s your favourite night? Wednesday Sports Night without a doubt.

What are you currently lifting in the gym? Squat 80kg.

Do you have any pre-match rituals? Uninterrupted space to psyche myself up listening to ‘Cinderella Man’, ‘Lose Yourself’, ‘Not Afraid’ and ‘Bangarang’.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I’ve visited every Mainland State in the USA.

Take the biggest challenge yet – apply for Teach First’s Leadership Development Programme and put your leadership skills to use

Basketball

Vasile Pirvu, 3rd year, MSci Mathematics (Men’s 1st Team Captain)

Where do you live? Bristol city centre.

What’s your favourite night? The one with most alcohol.

Do you have any pre-match rituals? Listening to some cheesy pop.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I am always the corner piece of any puzzle to which I belong.

Noelia Gonzalez, 3rd year, Mechanical Engineering (Women’s 1st Team Captain)

What’s your favourite night? Sports Night Wednesday.

Do you have any pre-match rituals? I have my own personalised playlist.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I wanted to be a swimmer, but my spasmodic jolts hindered this so I turned to basketball.

Want your graduate job to have an impact? Want to be a role model? Apply to Teach First’s Leadership Development Programme today

Lacrosse

Harry Parker, 3rd year, Mechanical Engineering (Men’s Club Captain)

Where do you live? Whiteladies Road.

What’s your favourite night? Triple Cooked.

What are you currently lifting in the gym? 60kg – 80kg.

Do you have any pre-match rituals? I tap my helmet 11 times.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I drove across India in a rickshaw for charity.

Hannah Bray, 3rd year, Biological Sciences (Women’s 1st Team Captain)

Where do you live? Pembroke Road in Clifton.

What’s your favourite night? Triangle night/Sports night.

Tell us something about you others won’t know: I’m a member of Senior England Lacrosse.

Teach First’s Leadership Development Programme offers responsibility as well as fulfilment – apply today to lead your own classes and make a difference to the lives of young people who need it the most