Inside grad life at one of the world’s biggest consultancy firms

Training in Rome, circus displays and formals at the O2

Think you’re ready for the big four? Well, these grads managed to secure themselves a place at one of the world’s most prestigious firms. So, we spoke to them about what it’s really like to work at EY. Good news – there’s pizza involved.

Want to work at one of the most prestigious companies in the world? Then apply today for one of EY’s graduate programmes and see where it can take you

Lauren, Bristol graduate, EY 

Finance was never the route I thought I’d go down after university. I studied Chemistry and loved it, but by the end, I knew I didn’t want to be stuck in the lab all day. I wanted a career that could keep my brain stimulated. So, I spoke to people at careers fairs and one of the main companies that stood out was EY.

I’m within the IT Risk and Assurance team as a consultant so I get to work with a range of financial services clients. In my department, there is a huge range of degrees, from History to Social Sciences. From the start it was clear that EY are far more concerned with your willingness to learn than anything else – they’re aware that you learn more from doing it. There’s definitely a sense of belief in their employees. 

The job definitely has its perks; we went to Rome for three days last year for a graduate event. Dinners, circus displays, pizza throwing – it was awesome. There must have been a thousand people there and we took over this big hotel.

Looking to travel with your career? Apply to EY’s graduate programme and work with a global network of clients

Lauren, front left

The social life is second to none, with team socials constantly and societies like the tag rugby team, which I’m a member of. It’s like being back in uni. The formal events are huge and more extravagant than you’d believe – the last one was held at the O2.

So far, EY has definitely provided me with the skills to set me up for life. I had no idea I was going to enjoy what I was doing this much. It’s in no way a hierarchal place; all the people above me ask for my advice rather than make demands. The support and respect you get really pushes you and keeps you more engaged. Even after long hours my manager will go and get pizza for the team. Everyone’s got time for you.

Explore your potential and join a nationwide network of the world’s brightest with EY’s graduate programme today

Anna, Birmingham graduate

I knew that after graduation I would be looking to apply to the Big Four, and my ideal situation was to go to EY. When applying I was mainly sold on the friendliness of the interview process. You can tell they really care about their applicants.

Right now, I work in public sector audit as well as corporate audit. When I first started, I began working towards an ACA, a professional accountancy qualification. If I was doing that solo, it would’ve been ridiculously expensive, but EY funded it, which is amazing.

Looking for a career in Accountancy? Apply to EY’s graduate programme today and get your ACA qualification fully paid for

At EY, you can take as much responsibility as you want, which can be to your benefit. The more work you do the more your opportunities grow. By your third year, you’re leading audits and you’re in charge of a team. I’ve also done bids for some new clients, recruitment stuff for the office, and loads more. Since starting, I’ve never felt complacent or redundant – no week is the same.

The average age is around 29, so it’s a youthful vibe in the office. Don’t get me wrong, you have to work hard and it is definitely fast-paced, but on the flip side there is an amazing social life. Friday drinks, summer events, sports days, honestly I could go on.

Last year, I got to go to Amsterdam for a course over the summer. You meet people from all over the world and get to travel to places you never thought you could – who would’ve thought you could do all this on a grad job?

Apply to EY’s graduate programme and be supported by the UK’s top financial professionals through the first steps of your career