VOTE: Which are the best halls in Newcastle?

It’s time to finally put an end to the toon turf war

Are you a rah from Leazes or a princess from The View? Catered vs. non catered, city centre vs. a Metro ride away, 1970s prison block vs. hotel living – the all important debate over the best halls in Newcastle always causes scandal and rivalry. Until now.

We’ve bought you the sweetest memories and classic jibes for every major hall Newcastle has to offer to finally put an end to the classic turf war.

The fun of halls doesn’t have to end after first year

Check out Union State’s great flats in the centre of Glasgow

Marris House

Marris is the jack of all trades of halls living, the Hufflepuff of Newcastle if you will. It has neither the luxury of The View nor the scum of the former Ricky Road, it’s right in the middle. There’s nothing special about these redbrick blocks, but then there’s no judgement at being in Marris either.

Being so close to campus means you illicit angry reactions from your fellow St Mary’s or Bowsden course mates who have had to trek to their 9am, whilst you roll out of bed at 8:50am and still manage to be on time.

Marris is a welcoming, but not overwhelming halls. It’s said to be the new Ricky Road, since the latter’s recent demise, but then who actually believes that? Marris is a cheaper option than the swanky hotel style halls Newcastle’s got going on, which makes up for its pokey rooms and camp style beds. It’s also in the perfect position to pop into Londis in your PJs.

Second year Rosie told The Tab: “If I could describe Marris as a colour I’d say it was pretty beige.”

Union State are giving all first time bookers £200 of Amazon vouchers

Click here to make sure you don’t miss out!

St Mary’s College

Unless you live in the town centre you may as well live in Hull because no-one’s ever heard of you. St Mary’s is a 40-minute brisk walk to uni and, being in Fenham, you cannot expect people to attend your pres.

It’s so in the sticks there’s not even metro service, but luckily there are free shuttles buses running daily at 8am and 6pm and free parking for those who have a car.

You spend so much time with your flatmates avoiding the two-mile walk to uni that you automatically become best friends with those that you live with. No longer having Ricky Road around means that St Mary’s is a cheap halls, saving that extra little bit to spend on trebles in Sinners.

Meg from St. Mary’s said: “Mary’s is the best value for money, it’s a super cheap yet really spacious accommodation. That was the only good thing about it though, it’s so far away!”

You don’t have to move 40 minutes down the road 

Union State has accommodation right in the city centre

The View

The View is more of a hotel than a halls – you’re definitely choosing luxury over the traditional uni slums.

This blue tower offers not your usual Leazes pee in your metal sink first year experience, but en-suite bathrooms and practical five star living. The View is so tall you can practically get a live view of the footy matches in St James’ Park.

Those studying business don’t even have to attend your dreaded 9am, but can simply sit at your desk and watch the lecture through the expanse of glass windows. You must remember, however, that this can be reversed and people can see into YOUR room, as some people famously learnt the hard way.

Becky from The View said: “It’s the best halls because it’s really homely and you always feel safe.”

Every Union State room has an ensuite bathroom

Click here to find your dream flat

Turner Court

Turner Court isn’t the most well known halls and it’s got a distinct lack of atmosphere, known by many as a modern prison for students.

Turner is in the happening suburb of Ouseburn, which despite being a fun place to be, means becoming a regular of taxi firms so you can spend all your time in Leazes or Marris.

Don’t fret though, Turner may not have the reputation of the more infamous halls but it does come equipped with a pool table and an outside courtyard for when the sun decides to shine.

Third year Claudia said: “Sure, I enjoyed living above Tesco when I had no food in my cupboard but being woken every morning at 6am to the sound of delivery lorries was less than ideal.”

Union State’s flats are close to all the action

Click here to live the dream

Castle Leazes

Castle Leazes is the most famous halls in Newcastle, being known for it’s Rahstle Leazes or Castle Sleazes reputation. Leazes is the Marmite of Newcastle – everyone loves to hate it.

In 2015 The Tab found that a huge 40% of Leazes Students went to private school, although you wouldn’t know with its residents channelling the homeless chic vibe. Leazes folk come to uni pretending they didn’t go to private school, chugging red stripe and adorning edgy bucket hats.

The 17 room corridors are pretty rank and have a distinct lack of any communal space, the kitchen is minuscule, and they have alternate girls and boys floors. We’re all secretly jealous, however, of the bar and the catered halls, which means they can be as lazy as they like whilst we slave away cooking a can of baked beans.

Second year student Charlie said: “Castle Leazes, a halls where the line between the washing machine, sink and toilet is forever blurred.”

Union State have accommodation to suit all budgets

Click here to see their gorgeous flats

Leazes Parade

Leazes Parade is very close to Castle Leazes, but don’t get them confused – they’re not the same.

There’s nothing particularly sparkly about Leazes Parade, but then again there is nothing drastically negative about it either. There’s always something happening, but if you fancy a quiet night in you can easily sleep and not be disturbed.

It’s a family orientated halls with a nice community feel. Leazes Paraders still endure the walk through the cow field and drunkenly dodge these beasts after a night out on The Toon. The extra five minute walk to the halls and to Londis seems like an effort, but really helps to keep off that Fresher’s Fifteen.

Lydia from Leazes Parade said: “It is a little bit further away than Castle Leazes and it can be quite demoralising seeing your room from the Cow Field. But Parade is just such a mix of everything! It’s cheap and so friendly and I made the best friends there.”

You shouldn’t have to walk through a cow field to get home

Check out Union State’s flats in the city centre

Liberty Plaza

Liberty Plaza is just behind The View and conveniently close to the Chicken Shop. It’s another modern halls with three quarter luxury beds for all those successful nights out.

Its hungry residents rejoice with the perks of the nearby Tesco and the chance of free Dominos every now and again. Second and third years are encouraged to stay on in the halls, although freshers are left wondering why their flatmates aren’t in Heaton or Jesmond like normal second or third years when they complain about the noise.

Dennis, the security man, is hot on shutting down flat parties but then he’s got great banter so it evens out. You need a fob key to get in and out of Liberty, it costs £45 to replace and makes the goodbye after a one night stands a lot more awkward.

Second year Charlotte said: “If you had a one night stand you couldn’t just kick them out of the flat door and then run off – you had to physically leave the building and then do the walk of shame to and from the big electronic gates”

Live somewhere that makes your life better day, night and the morning after

Union State have a great selection of affordable rooms in the city centre

Get £100 of Amazon vouchers if it’s your first time, £50 of vouchers if you refer a friend and £200 of vouchers if you re-book

Click here to find out more

Union State Newcastle