Meet the grads expanding UNIQLO across Europe within a year of graduating

It’s the clothes brand of our generation

A year out of uni and most people have spent a few months in Thailand, moved to London and have spent the last six months filling out spreadsheet after spreadsheet at one of the big four.

This wasn’t the case for Victor de Folco and Maria Lembo, who since graduating have both finished their grad scheme at UNIQLO and are now planning on leading the European expansion of the high street’s most up-and-coming fashion label.

When UNIQLO are hiring graduates they don’t look for third years who will make good graduates, they’re looking for students like Victor and Maria, who in five years time, will be able to take charge of the company.

Apply for the UNIQLO Manager Candidate Programme today, applications are now open

Victor di Folco, International Business graduate, aspiring CEO of UNIQLO

Victor in Tokyo at a UNIQLO conference with the other store managers

Graduates at UNIQLO work as Assistant Store Managers for their first year, learning what it takes it to run a business and how to lead a team before becoming a Store Manager. Victor’s responsibility grew quickly at UNIQLO.

“When I joined the company two years ago we only had seven stores in France and I have just opened the 14th store a month ago – now we’re on the 15th. We hope to have 30 to 50 in the next couple of years.”

Victor is already thinking big and he only joined UNIQLO two years ago after starting on the 12-month grad scheme, but his goal wasn’t so clear when he first started.

“At first I was really taking it step-by-step but UNIQLO wanted us to set long-term goals. The thought of being at a senior level grew on me.

“Only a few weeks into the programme and my manager asked me where I saw myself in 10 years. So I began to build a plan of what I wanted to achieve at UNIQLO, it’s become my main focus.

“My aim is to be a CEO at UNIQLO, which I hope should be in the next five years.”

Victor (left) in Tokyo

Growing up in France and being half-Irish always made Victor want to study and work internationally. Before joining UNIQLO, Victor studied International Management in both Shanghai and New York.

“Uniqlo has incredible opportunities for years to come with the expansion they want to have across Europe. It’s something I really noticed when I started the recruitment process. They offer massive scale – not many companies can offer these fast track opportunities for students.

“Hopefully I will gain a senior position in the next few months and then head to an area manager role with several stores to manage. This will hopefully set me up for more opportunities when markets like Spain, Italy or the big other European markets begin to open up.”

Maria Lembo, International Management graduate, plans to expand UNIQLO into Italy

Maria completed the UMC and is now running a team of 15

Like Victor, Maria has an international background, she was born and raised in Milan, studied in Paris and Shanghai before working in London with UNIQLO.

When Maria was looking for grad schemes she wasn’t looking to work in retail but for a company where there would be a lot of opportunities for her to progress.

What attracted me was this idea of expansion – the way the programme was presented was this is ‘how you can become a business leader.'”

Maria in Tokyo after completing the UMC

Maria was right, after finishing the UMC a year ago, she is already in place to lead the expansion of UNIQLO in Italy.

“My goal for the future is to lead as many people as possible, which I think is aligned with the company’s plans for me. The Italy market isn’t open yet and I think the plan they have for me, based on what my managers keep saying, is to send me back to Italy to open the market there.”

Maria admits getting to this position isn’t easy. When she was interviewing for the UMC, Maria had three stages, one of which was a interview with the CEO of UNIQLO Europe.

The interview starts the moment you enter the door. They’re looking to see if you’re a smiley person, how you walk – your attitude and character can make a real difference.”

Maria beleieves her success at UNIQLO has come from her willingness to work very hard.

“At UNIQLO anyone can become a store manager, everyone has the opportunity, it’s about who’s willing to work for it.

“You don’t get anything for free.”