Vic Street to Union Road: A guide on where to live in Exeter

Please be close to the Co-op

Two years ago, our glorious city was crowned one of the top 50 cities to live in by the Sunday Times. Are we surprised? Not really, Exeter has everything and more.

With a quarter of the city’s population made up of people who either attend or work for the university, there’s no surprise the city is known as ‘the bubble’. But what part of the bubble is the best part to live in?

THE ROADS YOU SHOULD BE LIVING ON

Anyone studying on Exeter’s main campus should be gunning for a house around Victoria Street, the jugular of student living in second and third year. Springfield comes a close second and is a marginally quieter alternative.

But it isn’t all about Vic Street: here are all of the roads you need to know about after first year.

Check out these unbelievable houses in Exeter with Student Cribs

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THEM

Howell Road

Student Cribs have two houses on Howell Road. Check them out!

It’s still got all of the perks of Vic Street and Pennsylvania, just with less of the costs. Five minutes from Arena, 10 minutes from town and less than 15 minutes from campus, there’s no denying this area is in a prime location. Howell Road is home to the famous Rusty Bike pub, which, according to Trip Advisor, serves the best roasts in Exeter. If you don’t mind spending a little more and you can’t be bothered with a 10 minute walk to Pennsylvania, the Londis on Howell Road will satisfy your cravings and last minute pre-drink needs.

Don’t be put off by the prison at the bottom of your road, you’ll most likely never be safer – anyone who is going to commit a crime is probably already on the inside of the walls.

Distance from the high street: 13 minute walk

Distance from Forum: 16 minute walk

Devonshire Place

One of the most aesthetically beautiful places in Exeter and you’re close to the Vic and Saunders – two Exeter essentials. There’s also a hidden park by Devonshire Place which nobody knows about.

Distance from high street: 20 minute walk

Distance from Forum: 14 minute walk

Union Road

Student Cribs have five houses available on Union Road. Check them out!

The perfect location if you want to stumble out of bed five minutes before your 9am or if you fancy a quick trip into town. Saunders is close too so if you’re looking for a quick snack before attending pre-drinks on Union Road, you’re in the right place.

Distance from the high street: 19 minute walk

Distance from Forum: 15 minute walk

Live a life of luxury on Union Road. Visit Student Cribs for more

Mowbray Avenue

When you first arrived at uni, you thought you’d be living in abject poverty for three years. Think again – the houses on Mowbray Avenue are gigantic. Prepare for some huge dinners or the bill to replace your broken chandelier.

Distance from high street: 9 minute walk

Distance from Forum: 14 minute walk

Victoria Street and Springfield Road

Student Cribs have nine houses on Victoria Street. Check them out!

The first houses to go as they’re close to campus, you can make it to your 9am by leaving the house 10 minutes before and not even breaking a sweat. With the area entirely inhabited by students, you’ll quickly become recognisable and an instant big name as you bump into everyone you know.

The Vic pub at the end of the street does some of the best burgers in Exeter and is the perfect place to go for a drink with your housemates in the evening. They might cost a bomb, but if you’re living on Victoria Street it shouldn’t be a problem.

Distance from high street: 16 minute walk

Distance from Forum: 14 minute walk

Old Park Road

‘We love you Exeter we do, we love you Exeter we do, we love you Exeter we do, oh, Exeter we love you.’

You’re either a die hard Exeter City fan or you fancy a weekend trip to Exmouth. Old Park Road is pretty central and is well priced. Perfect to save up for a scarf or Exeter City club branded mug.

Distance from high street: 6 minute walk

Distance from Forum: 15 minute walk

Hear the chants of Exeter City from your room. Visit Student Cribs for more

Iddesleigh Road

Student Cribs have a six bedroom house on Iddesleigh Road. Check it out!

You’re close to Arena and Waitrose, what more could you want?

Distance from high street: 18 minute walk

Distance from Forum: 21 minute walk

Old Tiverton Road

You’re getting serious value for money by living on Old Tiverton Road – it’s made up of huge and pretty spacious houses. You can use all of the money you’re saving and spend it in Arena, it’s only down the road.

Distance from Forum: 21 minute walk

Pennsylvania Road

Student Cribs have a seven bedroom house on Pennsylvania Road. Check it out!

There’s a reason why the coolest people live on Pennsylvania – their houses are massive, they’re less than 10 minutes from campus and the road is almost exclusively students. The houses on Pennsylvania are perfect for big groups of mates in second year. You’ll feel full BNOC as you’ll bump into everyone you know as you walk to the Co-op.

Distance from the high street: 27 minute walk

Distance from Forum: 24 minute walk

Full time BNOC? Pennsylvania Road is perfect for you

Mount Pleasant Road

The houses are bigger than Vic Street and you won’t pay anywhere near as much. You’re saving so much by living here you can afford to shop at Waitrose, which is only a 10 minute walk down the road. If your not really into paté and cañapes, you can always pop into Morrisons.

Campus might be a 25 minute walk away but Mount Pleasant is a stunning option, as Arena, Monkey Suit and Timepiece are only a short way further down Sidwell Street.

Distance from the high street: 18 minute walk

Distance from Forum: 23 minute walk

Powderham Crescent

Student Cribs have a six bedroom house on Powderham Crescent

The Vic is only up the road and to the right, so you’re nice and close for when your friends inevitably arrange to meet there for a drink. Five minutes down the road is The Black Horse, an underrated champion among students.

With unlimited access to the High Street 5-10 minutes away, you’re never far from the designer outlets and boutiques Exeter has to offer.

Distance from the high street: 15 minute walk

Distance from Forum: 14 minute walk

Well Street

Everything you could possible wish for is close to Well Street – the train station, John Lewis, Harry’s Restaurant, TP and Arena.

Distance from the high street: 10 minute walk

Distance from Forum: 19 minute walk

Richmond Road

Richmond Road might not be the funnest street in town, but it’s two minutes from St. David’s train station and is super close to the quay – perfect for an athlete looking for a good running route. You can recover from your run at the Farmer’s Union Pub.

Distance from the high street minute walk: 8 minute walk

Distance from Forum: 24 minute walk

Houses in Exeter are going fast 

Check out these unreal houses with Student Cribs

Fill out this form to make an enquiry