Kimbo to Albert Grove: A guide on where to live in Lenton

Please be close to Sainos

Unless you’re a vet or a medic, the vast majority of you should be gunning for a house in Lenton come second year – accept no substitutes. 

The subject of a short-lived BBC student soap opera in 2003, Lenton has gradually morphed into an almost entirely student district and is easily your best bet if you want to continue the sort of vaguely interesting life you had in first year.

With house parties most weekends, a couple of small supermarkets, proximity to the city and a cheap cinema, Lenton is pretty idyllic.

Lenton means you live with your friends, Beeston means you don’t.

THE ROADS YOU SHOULD BE LIVING ON

Most people end up living on one side of the streets off Derby Road like Bute Avenue, Albert Grove, and Kimbolton Avenue.

There’s a positive correlation between living further down Derby Road and rental costs, but at least you’ll also be closer to uni.

The main downside to this student utopia is its two-mile walk to University Park so, if you’re more academically motivated (and who are you to judge), you’re better off living in Dunkirk or Beeston. Or get the number 34 and still maintain some degree of social decorum.

Having a car in second and third year is useful because of the distance to uni, but you’ll have to cough up £75 for a parking permit or risk leaving it in neighbouring Ikleston, where it’s impossible to walk five metres without seeing a cheery pile of broken glass from the window of your mate’s Peugeot 206.

Check out these unbelievable houses in Nottingham with Student Cribs

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THEM

Lenton Boulevard

If you can look past the Eton Messy and DJ Jackmaster NYE posters in the windows of every single house, the properties on Lenton Boulevard are huge and you’re on the perfect street in terms of proximity to Sainsbury’s.

In between Derby Road and Castle Boulevard, it’s also prime for places to eat and drink as the street is lined with the El Paso Grill, Bagonails Pub and the Coor’s Jamaican spot. The cinema is only round the corner – perfect for a lazy Sunday.

Distance from University Park: 34 minute walk

Distance from Jubilee campus: 14 minute walk

Distance from the city centre: 25 minute walk

Nearest food shop: Sainsbury’s

Derby Road

A police report in 2014 rated Derby Road the most dangerous road in Lenton with six crimes committed per month.

Along the stretch from the QMC up to Harrington Drive there are clusters of shops, which are always useful.

And you’ve got the Sainsbury’s right on your doorstep for all your late night munchies.

Distance from Jubilee Campus: 18 minute walk

Distance from the city centre: 17 minute walk

Nearest food shop: Sainsbury’s

Douglas Road

Distance from University Park: 36 minute walk

Distance from the Jubilee Campus: 18 minute walk

Nearest food shop: Sainsbury’s

Kimbolton Avenue

Kimbolton Avenue is the beating heart of everything it means to live in Lenton. In the thick of it, Kimbo is a predominantly student road.

It may of been voted the most burgled street in Britain in 2006, but if you’re looking to live in the vibiest place in Lenton, Kimbolton Avenue’s for you.

Only a £5 taxi from the train station and a short walk from Tesco Express or the Co-op, you’re incredibly well connected to the city, but still a trek from the uni.

Distance from University Park: 33 minute walk

Distance from Jubilee Campus: 18 minute walk

Distance from the city centre: 20 minute walk

Nearest food shop: Co-op, Tesco Extra, Milano Pizza and The Pancake House.

Rolleston and Harrington

Next to Sainsbury’s and close to the number 34 – Rolleston Drive is the understated hero of Lenton. Shame you have to draw a Venn diagram to your mates to explain which side of the road to come into, the barrier doesn’t  help.

Harrington Drive is the longest street known to man but the houses are large and detached so you won’t have to hear your neighbours banging next door. It’s also lined with the trees so looks pretty nice compared to some of the other duller roads.

Distance from University Park: 26 minute walk

Nearest food shop: Tescos

Derby Grove

It’s a pretty decent road and there are some big, nice houses down it.

Derby Grove is also a little further up the hill and you’re slightly more likely to have a buss pass when you inevitably give up walking in mid-October.

Distance from University Park: 34 minutes

Distance from the city centre: 18 minute walk

Nearest food shop: Co-op

Albert Grove

If you’re into the leafy, suburb vibe Albert Grove is your street. One of the most vegetated streets in the whole of Nottingham.

Distance from University Park: 35 minute walk

Nearest food shop: Co-op

Rothesay Avenue

Rothesay Avenue is always trying to be Kimbolton, it’s just as close to Sainsbury’s and if anything it’s a slightly quicker walk to uni.

But at the end of the day, it’s just not as classic. It’s a perfectly fine road, there’s even a post office and a Co-op at the end which will definitely come in handy, but there won’t be as many parties and you’ll spend all your time walking to the next road up.

Distance from University Park: 32 minute walk

Distance from Jubilee Campus: 16 minute walk

Distance from the city centre: 21 minute walk

Nearest food shop: Co-op or Sainsbury’s Local

Houses in Nottingham are going fast

Check out these unreal houses with Student Cribs

Fill out this form to make an enquiry