Food you have to eat in Oxford before you die

Now we’ve just got to sneak a Joey Tribbiani into The Bod

From barbecue to burritos, our city is bursting to the brim with tasty food from a healthy range of independent restaurants and national favourites. Forget Formal Hall – these are the standout places in Oxford you’ll want to be spending the entirety of your loan at.

The cherry on top? All of these restaurants are available on Deliveroo – result.

Atomic Pizza, 247 Cowley Road

Courtesy of Atomic Pizza

Most popular dish: The enormous, 16 inch Joey Tribbiani (£17.50) or the Daisy Duke burger (£10.50) – American cheese, crispy bacon and BBQ sauce.

Try before you die: Everything. But if you had to choose, the Danger Fries (£4.95) are insane – pulled chicken, Louisiana hot sauce, blue cheese dressing and spring onions. The Antonio Banderas pizza (£10.95) is also a must.

Student discount: Unfortunately not, but all burgers do come with a side.

“The idea was to create a place where people could come in and just have a great time, where they can forget about any troubles or issues that they may have in their life for a short while and just have a really nice burger.”

Owner James Reilly has loved burgers and comics since he was a kid, so it was the obvious choice to open a restaurant that incorporates the two. From comic book wallpaper to a life-size statue of Hans Solo frozen in Carbonite, they have really gone to town on their theme. James said: “If I’m completely honest, it was an excuse to buy all the toys I couldn’t afford growing up.”

Courtesy of Atomic Pizza

The menu is wildly unique and perfect for when you’re feeling ravenous. Take the B.A Barracus (£17.50) for example: a triple stacked burger, with each patty playing host to American cheese, barbecue pulled pork and crispy bacon.

All of the adventurous food is named after things and people you’ll remember growing up, like Audrey Hepburn and Chuck Norris, which James believes makes the Atomic experience memorable. He explained: “One of my principles in life is that you need to connect with people, so the restaurants are all about connectivity. When you see something on the menu that reminds you of something from your life, we’re instantly connecting with you on a personal level.”

Atomic Pizza is definitely a hit at the uni. Third year Russell Sheldrake said: “Atomic Pizza is the most go-to date spots on Cowley Road – if your tinder date is a let down, the pizza won’t be.”

Big Ron’s Mexican Cantina, 96 Cowley Road

Courtesy of Big Ron’s Mexican Cantina

Most popular dish: Any of the burritos (starting from £5.25).

Try before you die: The enchiladas (£10.50) are stuffed with mouthwatering, slow-cooked beef or veggie chili, and the quesadillas (starting from £5.25) are light but pack a flavourful punch.

Student discount: Nope, sorry – however, you don’t have to pay extra for guac which is a win in itself.

Big Ron’s Mexican Cantina is actually owned by the same team that brought you Atomic Pizza – which is how you know the food is going to be good.

James Reilly said: “We’ve had a few concepts here, starting off with Big Ron’s Burrito Shack and moving to Big Ron’s Mexican Cantina, where we’ve introduced a few more things like quesadillas to the menu. Come January, it’s looking likely we’ll be in our third incarnation, which is exciting to me and will hopefully be another welcome addition to the Cally Road.”

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLHS9vMB_ct/?taken-at=981015684

The name Big Ron’s is actually a tribute to James’ business partner, who sadly passed away in February. James said: “He had talked about opening some kind of Mexican place, so I decided to carry on with that. My business partner’s middle name is Ronald and he absolutely hated it, but Big Ron’s would be a nice sort of tribute to him. Although he hated that name, he definitely would have appreciated the irony of it.”

Everything made at Big Ron’s is freshly prepared with love and care and the menu is always evolving, so you’ll definitely be kept on your toes.

Oxford Blue Smokehouse, 32 Marston Street 

https://www.instagram.com/p/6-PyAtSn4A/?tagged=bigsmokeplatter

Most popular dish: The Big Smoke Platter (£44 for two people), because you can try each and every one of the mouthwatering smoked meats.

Try before you die: Any one of the combos, in particular the brisket, pulled pork and burnt ends (£18).

Student discount: Not yet but watch this space…

After the Chequers Smokehouse in Witney proved to be an enormous hit, the owners decided to set up shop in Oxford and haven’t looked backed since.

Courtesy of Oxford Blue Smokehouse

General Manager Danielle thinks students like the Smokehouse because of it’s chilled atmosphere. She said: “It’s a cool place to come. We serve American beer and play excellent blues music – you get a really authentic experience.

“Our two smokehouses are in the garden so customers can watch how everything works. It’s quite unique.”

Sian Rogers, international human rights law student said: “Oxford Blue Smokehouse food is incredible, especially on the occasional Tuesday when they have a big eat special!”

What’s the big eat special you ask? Well, from eating 28oz of steak and sides in one sitting, to devouring 28 wings in 25 minutes, the Smokehouse regularly puts on a hefty eating challenge, where the victor will receive a totally-worth-the-calories trucker hat. Totally worth the calories.

Order from all of these amazing restaurants, as well as the favourites you love like Wagamamas, Pizza Express and GBK, on Deliveroo now