Meet the guys shaking up clubbing in the Toon

They go out a lot

From World HQ to Swingers, Prelinks is the app that let’s you see who’s going to the biggest nights in the city, and gives you a chance to chat with them before you’ve even queued up.

We spoke to Niamh Ellys Thompson, Ben Young, Bella MacNeill and Michael Okoye, who all help out at Prelinks alongside their studies, about why they got involved with Prelinks, what the app does, and how it could transform the UK’s clubbing scene.

Prelinks shows a mix of weekly club nights and one off events every night, with information about the type of music, location, opening and closing times and how many people are attending through the app.

Once you’ve clicked going to an event, you can see the profiles of other people attending, swipe, match and chat with them before the night.

Niamh Ellys Thompson, Fashion Design and Marketing, third year

Niamh is a socialite, she promotes both Prelinks and Waikiki Tuesdays and is a hostess for BBR alongside her Fashion and Marketing degree.

She said: “I haven’t been to another city in the UK that I have enjoyed more than Newcastle, even if it is just due to the dirt-cheap drinks. There’s a different atmosphere to everywhere else in the country, everyone just wants to get absolutely ruined on a night out and not have a care in the world.”

The Fashion and Marketing third year places both Digital and Livello at the peak of clubbing in Newcastle.

She said: “Digital for the events it holds there and also the sheer size of the actual club. Or Livello for its music and amazing venue set-up.”

Niamh highlights the ease of Prelinks as a way of matchmaking, she added: “To me, as a student, meeting a match at a club where you’re out with your friends is way less intense and definitely less awkward than having to set up a one-on-one date as you would on other apps.”

“It’s useful to students as a way of avoiding dead nights out and making sure wherever you decide to go out you know a familiar face or two.”

Prelinks just made your trip to Digital so much better

Download Prelinks

Ben Young, Ancient History, fresher

After dropping out of rugby due to eight shoulder dislocations, Ancient History fresher Ben jumped at the chance of promoting Prelinks.

Ben first got involved as “the app sells itself” and because it’s an easy fit with students.

Not only have his rugby injuries left him with some “cool scars to lie about on holiday,” he’s got more time for the gym and Club Trop.

Ben said: “The biggest differences I have found about going out in Newcastle to other cities is that whatever night you fancy going out you have an array of options, whether it be Monday at Digi or Thursday at Swingers. Of course, another huge difference is treble bars. It should be obligatory for every other city in the UK to follow suit.”

Ben reckons Prelinks will be on the phones of every student in ten years time.

He added: “There would be nothing worse than finding yourself in Prague for a boys weekend away and stuck in a typical Irish bar. With Prelinks, you see what’s on, what’s busy and what there is on offer.”

Chat to people going to the same night as you using Prelinks

Download Prelinks

Bella MacNeill, Film and Media, fresher

Bella first got hooked on Prelinks after her friend showed her how the app can take a night out onto the next level.

When she’s not promoting, you’ll find Bella in the gym, at lectures, or hanging around Manor Bank.

The Film and Media fresher’s clubbing has been transformed since using the app.

“It makes going out so much simpler by having all the events all in one place instead of having to keep up with the chore of Facebook stalking events.

“Plus it allows students to get connected with like-minded people who enjoy their social scene.”

Attend events with likeminded people using Prelinks 

Download Prelinks

Michael Okoye, Biomedicine, first year

When Michael isn’t busy with athletics training you might find him showing people the app around Northumberland Street or the two SUs.

Michael strictly only swipes right on the app to find ‘the one’. His friends have had some success though.

He said: “I have a friend who matched a girl a before we went out. He didn’t actually chat to her but we bumped into her on the night out and they started chatting based off that.”

Just like Bella, Michael sees convenience as one of the main attractions of Prelinks, because you no longer have to trawl through and check up on Facebook events.

He said: “If the app gets the right publicity and people get into using it, I can see it spreading across UK cities and completely blowing up.”

Prelinks is making nights out in Newcastle so much better

Download Prelinks