Kingfisher to York Road: A guide on where to live in town

Kingfisher is the home of the rich and gorgeous

| UPDATED accomodation housing loughborough renting student cribs

Aside from the weekly trip to Sainsbury’s to pick up your food or unless you have a part-time job, most freshers will rarely see the whole of town in daylight. 

Life on campus shields you away from what town has to offer, where everything is and where the best parts are.

This is a guide to living in town once you move out of halls.

There are several parts of the town – each area is unique with their own pros and cons.

• Golden Triangle (stretches from Cumberland Road to Derby Road)
  • Kingfisher
  • Park Road
  • Forest Road
  • Radmoor Road, York Road, Frederick Street etc
  • Garendon Road area (behind Bill Mo – near the hospital)

This map should help you picture it: 

[iframe url=”https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/embed?mid=zZfINbLOuA1Y.khe1HQdKm4O4″ width=”700″ height=”700″]

(You can share this interactive map)

HOUSES YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT

The infamous residents of Ambleside Close

Ambleside Close

Home of the seven Sports Science boys behind Lough’s notorious ‘party house’.

‘The Embassy’

Park Road is home to one of the largest houses in Loughborough and last year it was the home of 14 rugby boys. Nicknamed ‘The Embassy’ (by the rugby club) it hosted rugby socials galore and the odd Range Rover Evoque.

The nightclub on Fearon Street

Yes, you read it right – on Fearon Street one of the houses has an extension à la nightclub attached to the back of the house. Formerly passed down through the hockey club, the house has been home to some mad nights, as one floor is occupied with a games room and the other a dance floor and bar.

YOUR GUIDE TO MAKE THE MOST OF LIVING IN TOWN

Golden Triangle

If you’ve ever spoken to any second or third year you’ll be aware of the Golden Triangle – the alleged holy grail of living in Loughborough.

The Golden Triangle is made up of all the old classics Storer Road, Paget Street and Leopold Street – we could go on.

There are so many of us living on these streets the locals have formed a community group called SARG to put an end to all of the noise.

The houses are usually pretty narrow, but at least you’ll have a garden to enjoy in the summer.

Nearest pub: The Paget – live music every week as well as good food.

Nearest gym: Powerbase is probably the closest, although a 24/7 gym has just opened up next to the Basin.

Closest takeaway: Wan’s fish and chips.

Closest shop: George’s Off Licence or Sainsbury’s.

Distance to the union: 12 minute walk

Distance to the library: 24 minute walk

Park road

Park Road

Not a well known area, but it’s not all bad – last year it was the home of 14 rugby boys who named their house of decadence ‘The Embassy’.

The street is quiet with a mix of students and locals, but it’s only a short walk from town and a quick taxi to the union if you don’t fancy stretching your legs.

Nearest pub: The Blacksmiths (spoons) or The Orange Tree

Nearest gym: Leisure Centre or a walk to Powerbase

Closest takeaway: McDonalds at the end of the road (or you could treat yourself to a meal at Brown’s Lane)

Closest shop: The massive Tesco (see map)

Distance to the union: 25 minute walk

Distance to the library: 31 minutes walk

Radmoor Road, York Road and Frederick Street

York Road

One of the most classic areas in Loughborough –  this network of roads is perfectly located between town and uni.

Radmoor Road and Frederick Street are just outside of the Golden Triangle – so you narrowly escape the estate agent cliché.

Nearest pub: The Generous Briton/The Griffin

Nearest gym: Powerbase/The Radmoor Centre/Leisure Centre

Closest shop: Sainsbury’s

Distance to the union: 18 minute walk (from Frederick Street)

Distance to the library: 29 minute walk (from Frederick Street)

Frederick Street

Behind Bill Mo / Near the hospital – Garendon Road

You’re either an engineer or have a deep connection to Bill Mo.

This area is in the sticks, miles from town and a country mile from student interaction.

At least you’re close to the union and The Harvester. 

Nearest pub: JCs or the Union

Nearest gym: Powerbase

Closest takeaway: Papa Si’s

Closest shop: Morrisons or Aldi

Distance to the union: 9 minute walk

Distance to the library: 20 minute walk

Kingfisher

Kingfisher

You play rugby don’t you? Or hockey? Kingfisher is home to some of the best looking, most athletic people at Loughborough. And international students.

It’s proximity to the gym means those 7am gym sessions don’t look so bad after all.

The only downside is waiting for the traffic lights to go red at the crossing, but you’re probably driving onto campus in a Mini Cooper anyway so it doesn’t really matter.

Nearest pub: Union

Nearest gym: Powerbase

Closest shop: Sainsbury’s

Distance to the union: 13 minute walk

Distance to the library: 22 minute walk

Forest Road

It’ll take about 5 minutes to explain to your mates where you’re living exactly, as Forest Road is deceptively long – stretching from the Toby Carvery right the way to Brown’s Lane.

If you’re on the carvery side of the roundabout you have easy access into James France and Falk Eg. If you’re closer to town you’ll tell your mates that you live next to the Orange Tree.

Nearest pub: The Orange Tree

Nearest gym: Leisure Centre

Closest food shop: Farm Foods, the massive Tesco (see map), Tesco (The Rushes)

Distance to the union: 10-20 minute walk, depending on which side of the roundabout you live on

Distance to the library: 14-30 minute walk, again, depending on which side of the roundabout you live on

Student Cribs is reinventing university living through stylish, contemporary and modern houses

We have properties available on Park Road, York Road and Frederick Street

[iframe url=”https://www.google.com/maps/d/embed?mid=zZfINbLOuA1Y.k4JnIidot5nA” width=”700″ height=”300″]

Find out more about housing in Loughborough with Student Cribs