Confirmed: The first day of strike action at Bournemouth Uni and AUB is in two weeks time

Strikes will begin on February 1st

The UCU has confirmed that the first day of industrial action affecting Bournemouth students will begin in just under two weeks’ time, on February 1st.

Last week it was announced over 70,000 staff at 150 universities across the UK are taking part in the strikes, which will last for 18 days over February and March.

It has now been confirmed that staff at both Bournemouth University and Arts University Bournemouth will take part in the strike action due to continued disputes over pay, pensions, and work conditions, among other things.

The union has confirmed the strikes will begin on Wednesday, 1st February with the dates for the further 17 days of strikes to be announced next week.

With three days of striking before Christmas, these upcoming 18 days of strikes will mean this academic year has seen a total of 21 days of industrial action.

To put that into perspective, academic year 21-22 experienced 18 days of strike in total action for the entire year. A Tab investigation this summer found Russell Group unis saved £11million in withheld pay whilst lecturers were on strike last university year.

UCU general secretary Jo Grady said: “Whilst the cost-of-living crisis rages, university vice-chancellors are dragging their feet and refusing to use the vast wealth in the sector to address over a decade of falling pay, rampant casualisation and massive pension cuts.

“On 1 February, 70,000 university staff will walk out alongside fellow trade unions and hundreds of thousands of other workers to demand their fair share.

“UCU remains committed to reaching a negotiated settlement, but if university employers don’t get serious and fast, more strike action fill follow in February and March.”

Bournemouth University staff set to strike for 18 days before Easter

• Arts University Bournemouth providing free tea and toast for students and staff on campus

• Meet Ethan Overton, the Bournemouth student travelling from London to Amsterdam on foot