Image may contain: Coupe, Sports Car, Road, Downtown, Town, City, Building, Urban, Wheel, Machine, Automobile, Car, Transportation, Vehicle

Bournemouth student died by suicide near Swanage cliffs, inquest hears

He had not told anyone he was struggling

A Bournemouth University student took his own life at the foot of cliffs near Swanage, an inquest heard.

21-year-old Lyutfi Lyutfiev seemed happy to friends and family. He had not tried to get any therapy or medical help and had told nobody how he was feeling.

An examination of the student's laptop after his death showed numerous searches for information on death and suicide in the months leading up to the discovery of his body.

An inquest heard Lyutfi had taken a year out of Bournemouth and lived with his parents in Didcot, near Oxford.

He had been working in a warehouse when he died in October last year.

The inquest revealed Lyutfiev's body was found at the foot of cliffs near Anvil Point in Durlston Country Park in Swanage, by rock climbers at around midday on October 21st.

The climbers called police, paramedics, Swanage and St Albans Coastguard Rescue Teams, and Swanage RNLI lifeboat crews.

Lyutfi's body was recovered after a "technically challenging" operation.

The body was taken back to Swanage Lifeboat Station and his parents identified him on October 23rd.

A post-mortem examination showed the student died as a result of a haemorrhage and blood loss due to severe cuts on his arms.

It is believed Lyutfiev climbed down the cliffs to take his own life in an isolated location.

Assistant Dorset Coroner Brendan Allen has ruled his death a suicide.

Featured image: Phil Champion, Creative Commons Licence

Bournemouth University Student wellbeing services are contactable via email ([email protected]) or by phone (01202 965020). You can find additional information here.