Image may contain: Condo, Housing, Bridge, Architecture, Convention Center, Office Building, Building

BU reveals plans for new £38m Science and Technology building

It’s going to have solar panels and rainwater harvesting systems!!

BU are preparing to submit plans for a £38 million Science and Technology building for Talbot Campus.

The building will be equipped with a new lecture theatre, multiple seminar rooms, research facilities, and labs for Computing and Psychology studies.

According to plans, the building will stand at five stories high and measure around seven and a half thousand square feet. It's set to be built next to the currently under-construction Poole Gateway Building.

This investment tops the money spent on the Fusion Building, which opened in 2016, and cost £22 million.

Bournemouth University has invested massively in their grounds – investing money in the development of buildings for SUBU, Fusion, and most recently, Poole Gateway (due to be completed by spring 2020).

Image may contain: Convention Center, Architecture, Office Building, Building

The Poole Gateway building (under construction) which the new Science and Technology building will be built next to

There's also a planned extension to Gillett Road, as well as a series of new bus shelters. Overall £100 million is set to be spent on the campus in the next five years.

Planning applications are due to be submitted to the BCP council by the end of summer, following a public exhibition for staff and students on the 12th of June to detail plans.

The main aim of the building is to bring together students and courses from the Lansdowne and Talbot campuses, which are split across Bournemouth.

BU have said they want to make sure that the building is up to a high environmental standard. It will feature photovoltaic solar panels, highly efficient heating and cooling systems, and rainwater harvesting.

The Fusion Building was similarly environmentally friendly, and was awarded an Energy Performance Certificate rating of A and BREEAM Excellent.

Speaking at the Poole Gateway building Topping Out ceremony, Vice-Chancellor John Vinney said: “For me, it’s a very proud moment to be here because not only is this a gateway building to the Talbot site, it’s also a gateway to opportunities for our students and staff."