Image may contain: Long Sleeve, Beanie, Cap, Hat, Sleeve, Human, Person, Apparel, Clothing

Wear a hat on campus in aid of Brain Tumour Research

Get ya best beanies, berets and sun hats on

'Wear A Hat Day' is coming to Bournemouth university on Friday 29th March in aid of Brain Tumour Research charity.

The event is dedicated to getting as many students as possible to wear their biggest, brightest and boldest hat on campus in support of Brain Tumour Research – one of this year's RAG charities.

Image may contain: Hat, Clothing, Apparel, Cafeteria, Food Court, Food, Toy, Teddy Bear, Restaurant, Person, Human

RAG supports Brain Tumour research

You could go all out and use the Mad Hatter as your style inspiration.

What is a brain tumour?

A brain tumour occurs as a result of an abnormal growth or spread of cells from within the brain or its supporting tissues and it can damage the brain and its function.

Some types of tumour can occur around the edge of the brain and press on certain parts of it, whilst others can spread and grow in healthy brain tissue.

A brain tumour can either be cancerous or benign, with benign tumours at risk of becoming cancerous.

What are the statistics surrounding brain tumours?

In the UK, 16,000 people each year are diagnosed with a brain tumour while they kill more children and adults under the age of 40 than any other cancer.

But just 1% of the national spend on cancer research has been allocated to brain tumours.

Less than 20% of those diagnosed with a brain tumour survive beyond five years compared with an average of 50% across all cancers.

There are estimated to be about 60,000 people living with a brain tumour.

Brain tumour patients suffer from extreme pain and their condition can rapidly worsen.

Brain Tumour Research funds the country’s only virtual brain tumour tissue bank, linking 26 neuropathology cases across the UK.

The direct cause of a brain tumour is still not clear, and symptoms are often overlooked and ignored.

You can donate to Brain Tumour Research here or you can text HAT to 70660 to donate £5 where they will receive 100% of your donation.

Donations can also be given specifically to the Wear a Hat Day fundraising page on the Just Giving page here.

If you or someone that you know has been affected by benign or cancerous brain tumours, there is support and information available on the Brain Tumour Research website and Facebook page.