Image may contain: Urban, Town, Street, Road, City, Building

Breaking: A fire has broken out in Bournemouth Triangle

It started at around 7.15pm

A fire has broken out in Bournemouth town centre, and has been going for at least an hour, say police.

The blaze, on Commercial Road in Bournemouth Triangle, was started in the kitchen of a flat just after 7pm.

The Tab Bournemouth are at the scene and can see a police cordon in place, but the fire appears to be above Amigo Loans.

Firefighters at the scene have said that the cause is not yet known but the fire was started in a kitchen.

There are reports circulating online that the fire was started by a lightning storm, but The Tab Bournemouth have been told that is not true.

Police have confirmed everyone was taken out of the building safely.

All surrounding roads have been blocked off by police.

The fire is in flats, and started at the back and burst through the front window.

The scene as it is:

Image may contain: Wall, Stone Wall, Parking Lot, Parking, Vehicle, Transportation, Car, Automobile

We have spoken to two witnesses at the scene who described how they heard a boom sound and then saw the flames rising up the walls.

Other witnesses have said that they are residents of the flats and that they are unable to return to their homes. They heard the fire alarms sound and a burning smell.

Image may contain: Person, People, HumanImage may contain: Taxi, Car, Cab, Automobile, Outdoors, Night, Vehicle, Transportation, Train Station, Train, Terminal, SubwayImage may contain: Urban, Town, Street, Road, City, Building, Vehicle, Van, Transportation, Hospital, Clinic, Ambulance

Police have set up a meeting point for any one involved, which is the Portuguese restaurant nearby, Funchal By Night.

UPDATE 9:18PM – It has been confirmed to The Tab on the scene that the fire has successfully been put out.

10:13PM – Reports that residents on the sixth and seventh floor have been told they will not be returning to their homes tonight.

22/04/18 11:00AM – The fire service were called at 7.20 to the fire which is believed to have been accidental. It was on the eighth floor of the building, and the damage was concentrated in the flat where it started. A thorough safety inspection is being carried out and a section of Commercial Road remains closed today.

We will keep you updated with this story as more comes in.

Get the latest Bournemouth news straight to your WhatsApp by clicking here.