Exclusive: More BU students are having counselling than ever before

Over 900 students have sought support already this academic year

Hide Images

The number of Bournemouth students seeking support via the university’s counselling services is on track to reach record highs.

As of March 2018, 901 students have accessed BU's student well-being services in this academic year.

This is set to overtake last year's statistic of 925 students using the university's support.

The number has risen year on year since records began.

Below is the number of students who accessed student well-being for an assessment, well-being support or counselling:

There are currently 63 students on the waiting list for support (as of 26th March 2018) and average waiting times have also increased.

In January, students waited seven days on average for an initial meeting and assessment, whereas the number jumped to 24 days in February.

Bournemouth University was found to be the worst uni to deal with mental health, as revealed in The Tab's Mental Health Rankings 2017.

Even though nearly £1 million was spent on mental health by BU last year, only two other universities spent less per student than Bournemouth. Our findings show that they spent £7.25 per student, below the national average of £21.80.

BU provides talking therapies, drop in sessions, well-being advice and confidential help for anyone who feels they want to talk, which you can find out more about here.

If you are struggling with mental health, please reach out. Organisations like the Samaritans are here to help, while your local GP can refer you to a specialist.