Image may contain: Housing, Office Building, Building, Bench

Bournemouth is the worst uni in the country for dealing with mental health

According to our Mental Health Rankings 2017

Bournemouth is the worst university in the country for dealing with mental health, according to our newly released Mental Health Rankings – it placed 47th out of the 47 unis included.

Only two universities spend less per student on their counselling and wellbeing services than BU's £6.94.

The Tab's Mental Health Rankings 2017 is the only study to assess UK universities' ability to care for students with mental health issues. You can see the full rankings here.

Now in their second year, the rankings cover 47 universities across the country.

Bournemouth ranked lowest out of all the universities. This is the first time that BU have appeared in the rankings.

They pull together information about how well universities fund their mental health services, how long students have to wait for help, and how satisfied students are with their university's mental health services.

Over 9,000 students completed our mental health survey this year, and told us about their experiences.

Universities have a duty of care for their students, and mental health falls squarely under this. We're aiming to paint the truest picture of mental health at university, and how it's handled.

Even though nearly £1 million was spent on mental health by BU last year, only two other universities spent less per student than Bournemouth. Our findings show that they spent £7.25 per student, below the national average of £21.80.

As a result, Bournemouth’s finance score was 4.74 of a possible 40. The national average was 17.29, and only one other university received a lower score.

For satisfaction, Bournemouth was the 12th best university, scoring 36.70 out of a possible 40, against a national average of 34.55.

Just last year, BU launched their Mental Health Zone, a student lead initiative to raise awareness of mental health and reduce the surrounding stigma.

The five committee members behind the zone run campaigns and events with the aim to promote open conversations about mental health.

Bournemouth University did not respond to requests for comment.