‘Incredibly offensive, hurtful and upsetting’: Racist and antisemitic graffiti has gone up in Winton

Pictures have been posted in anti racism Facebook groups

Nazi symbols and ‘Jews go home’ have been scrawled across a wall in a car park in Winton.

The graffiti went up on Saturday night behind Waitrose, on Winton high street.

Race Matters, the Facebook group that the photo was posted in, has nearly 11,000 members who “aim to give matters surrounding race a platform, a platform to explore and discuss issues of race, racial representation, and racial identity in everyday life, the media, literature, business and education.”

The Tab Bournemouth spoke to Georgia, a Jewish student who could see the graffiti from her window, she said: “I’m totally shocked by the graffiti. As a non-religious Jewish woman, it’s incredibly offensive and hurtful and actually really upsetting. My grandparents and all further ancestors were Jewish.

“I could see the swastika from my window, and that’s not something that anyone wants to see or be reminded of when you know how it was used in the past. I can’t imagine why someone in this day-and-age would think what they wrote is acceptable when the society that we live in has such great diversity.”

There was a crack down on graffiti in the popular student area just over a year ago, which saw councillors getting involved trying to ‘battle’ against the vandals.

The graffiti has since been painted over, but there is still a noticeable amount in Winton. The wall was repainted within 48 hours, showing that the local authorities are still vigilant and acting on the issue, especially when such offensive vandalism is carried out in such a public area.