Save the Winchester: Petition reaches nearly one thousand signatures in just a few hours

The venue faces closure

The Winchester, in the heart of Bournemouth triangle, faces seeing the end of it’s days after losing the site due to development in the area.

However, just hours ago, a petition was launched to ‘Save the Winch’ and has already received nearly 1,000 signatures.

Events at the venue, that opened in 2009, include: live music, underground club nights, comedy and illustration events – dedicated to providing diverse entertainment across the music and arts scene.

This comes just days after it played host to ‘Rave for Refugees’, which raised two thousand pounds online and through ticket sales and on-the-night donations, and was organised by BU society, STAR Bournemouth.

The petition’s aim is to relocate Bournemouth’s ‘essential creative arts venue’ and says: “The Winchester has been at the heart of providing Bournemouth it’s creative and music spirit and home for nearly a decade, now unfortunately due to development of the area she has lost the venue and space to be able to continue doing this.

“We need your help and support in signing this petition so we can show the council, the university and the powers that be that Bournemouth needs a place like the Winchester so people can create and inspire, by signing this petition you will help us show there is a local community need for an arts centre like The Winchester and enable us to apply for funding which will ultimately help us relocate and rebuild.”

The Winchester’s historic buildings attract locals and students alike, making the events there distinctive and not quite like any others in Bournemouth.

Featured Image by The Winchester