‘We are trying to put Bournemouth on the map’: Meet the people behind We Broke Free

They’ve got a stage at Summerball

Bournemouth is a fantastic place for students. You’ve got your Lost Gardens Mondays, the Toast Tuesdays, Cameo Wednesdays and obviously the Lollipop Fridays – but have you heard about Thursdays at 60 Million Postcards?

Basically it’s a weekly live set up of up and coming bands and local talent all in the trendy venue, Sixty Million Postcards, by Bournemouth beach. It was set up is to bring live music to Bournemouth – it’s often bands that are about to break and are going to be huge so We Broke Free nab them just in time for generally free shows!

Spring King at 60 Million Postcards (Photo credit: Rowan Allen)

Featured in N.M.E magazine, they’re definitely worth talking about. With previous bands including Blossoms, Mystery Jets, Wytches and Spector, it’s definitely worth giving one of their Thursday nights a go.

The Tab Bournemouth had the pleasure of meeting the founders Tor and Adam at We Broke Free’s fourth birthday last Thursday. Both are DJs active on the music scene so it’s worth trusting their music choices for shows.

Wytches at 60 Million Postcards (Photo credit: Rowan Allen)

The event featured the up and coming band Modern Strangers as well as local band SoulHole – Tor told me why she thinks it’s important to support local talent: “We really champion local bands – Bournemouth is never a town that people associate with live music and bands. We get the big bands but the little ones don’t tend to come – we are trying to put Bournemouth on the map.”

Modern Strangers performing at 60 Million Postcards last Thursday

So why’s it called ‘We Broke Free’? Well according to Tor, it was actually named after the Metronomy song ‘We Broke Free’ which also tied in well with the music “breaking free from the mundane chart music”.

We Broke Free for the second year running have got their very own stage at Bournemouth’s SUBU Summer Ball. Last year the chart topping band, The Amazons, headlined and this year they’ve got indie rock band Black Honey, the alternative rock band InHeaven and also Get Inuit (a dirty pop band).

Flamingods at Sixty Million Postcards (Photo credit: Rowan Allen)

It doesn’t stop there, bands who have since performing for We Broke Free, now made it big are still keen to come back – Mystery Jets and Spring King are both interested in doing DJ sets so watch this space!

We Broke Free usually host a night of music on Thursdays at Sixty Million Postcards in Bournemouth from 9pm – it’s free so come down and give it a chance! Also, be sure to check out their stage at SUBU Summer Ball on the 3rd July – some exciting stuff coming your way.

You can get involved at:

Facebook: @WBFreeLive
Instagram: @we_broke_free
Twitter: @we_broke_free