Everything that changes when you move from halls to a house

Freshers be ready, it’s soon

Obviously everyone in Bournemouth misses living in halls, being so close to town and being able to see the sea from our bedroom windows. Remember the joy of not having to pay for a taxi every night out? There’s a lot of differences between living in Bournemouth halls and houses, but the house always comes out on top.

How you dress

The usual dress code in halls is the blanket cape. Walking from your room to the kitchen and down to the common room, past the security wearing a blanket abound your shoulders. In a house this is a bit different- no one has to see this. Of course we still wear our blankets, but we only need to move from our rooms to the sofa and not past anyone else, nobody to judge us. In a house, there’s no shame.

Location

Living in a house, when it is a sunny day I guarantee the most said thing is “oh imagine living close to the beach again”. Those were the days. However, I don’t miss running to Cameo wearing a bin bag when it was raining, all because no matter what the weather, it was too close to get a taxi. Plus, houses are a 5 minute walk from uni- no more vomit inducing Thursday morning rides on the U1, wonderful.

what rain?

Visitors

In a house when there is a knock at the front door, it is far less scary than it was in halls. Whenever there was a knock at the door in halls, it would either be people trying to sell us tickets to CocoLoco events and District at The Old Fire Station, or it would be security coming to complain about noise or give us another warning about opening the fire door. It led to no one ever answering the door. Sorry  x

Post

A bonus of a house is when you get post they just put it through your post box! Revolutionary! At halls you would get a slip of paper or an email letting you know you had post and you would have to take that down to reception and trade it for whatever had come.God forbid you forget your student card though – no post for you today. Living in a house, most of the post you get is for the previous tenants and not you. I’m sure every student house has a drawer full of other peoples’ post, it just doesn’t seem right to get rid of it? I’d still choose this draw over the effort that was collecting post in halls.

Cameo Hangovers

Hangover Thursdays are far better in a house that’s for sure. The common room, especially in Cranborne, was good to watch a film in, but the lights didn’t turn out. At least in our own house we can sit in complete darkness and watch a film while we hide from the rest of the world. We love you Cameo btw.

Laundry

Doing your washing is so much better in your own house than halls. Remember having to go down to the laundry room every week? Then you realise you don’t have the right change or that you’d forgotten to top up your laundry card so you’d desperately try and scramble any change or top up on your phone in the laundry room before someone took the last machine. In a house, you just step out your room, probably still in PJs and chuck your clothes in. Don’t have to worry about anything till the bill comes three months later – when you split it with everyone anyway.