Union scraps Amsterdam trip amid fears students would get high instead of visit galleries

Smoke and a pancake?

Joyless union politicos voted to cancel a trip to Amsterdam – because they were scared students would slip away from museum tours and smoke weed instead. 

At the Student Shout meeting earlier this month, cultured students proposed a trip to Amsterdam to visit galleries, museums, and the Anne Frank house.

But a puritan majority was against the idea as 64 per cent of attendees voted it down.

The Student Shout meeting

President Chloe Schendel-Wilson said: “I think the main argument for was that it was a good experience for students, and it would be good fun and something new to do.

“The main arguments against were that it wasn’t educational, and also we shouldn’t be advocating the use of drugs if people are going there.”

Chloe Schendel-Wilson

Anthony Willis, a 21-year-old Games Technology student added: “The general consensus was that due to the negative connotations of a trip to Amsterdam, i.e. the ‘getting high’ element, it would not be a good idea to support a trip to Amsterdam.

“Personally I agree with the majority, although it is likely that the students that go on the trip would not take part in drugs, the connotations of such a trip don’t paint a good picture of the standards of what SUBU stands for.”

And Katrina Quick, a 20-year-old journalism student said: “Bournemouth already has a known drug problem so the uni’s reputation could get worse if the trip went ahead.”

As yet there has been no confirmation on the proposed tour to the poppy fields of Kandahar.