Students vote to ditch ‘Lad’s mags’

Motion passed to ban the sale of ‘Lads mags’, such as Nuts and Zoo, at Bournemouth University

During Thursday’s Student Shout event, a motion to ban ‘Lad’s mags’ being sold on campus was passed by a majority of just two people.

A thing of the past – Lad’s mags will soon be gone from the Student Union shop

For the first time ever at a Student Shout event, the vote had to be conducted twice after the first round of voting came out dead even with those for the motion and those against.

The idea was proposed by SUBU’s Vice President of Communications, Annie Hall.

Although the exact details of the motion are still to be ironed out, Annie told the Tab that no more of these magazines would be ordered by the Student Union shop and that “students can expect to see them phased out”.

Despite the motion being passed, student views are still divided on the topic.

First year Prehistoric and Roman Archaeology student Sarah Allerton, who attended yesterday’s student shout said, “I don’t see the need to ban them. I can see why people would protest to them being sold but it never bothered me that they did sell them.”

Pascale Trelore, a third year Arts Events Management student at AUB, said, “I am not bothered by their presence on the shelves, but I know many girls will be ecstatic to see them removed. I think, long term it is probably a good thing, and will make young women feel less objectified.”

Sarah McKelvey, a final year PR student, said “I was never bothered about the magazines being sold on campus in the first place, what’s the difference from them being sold in the SU to them being sold in Sainsburys?

“If the ban is due to the idea of girls being offended I think it’s a bit ridiculous. We are at uni, we don’t need people to protect us from lads mags like our mums probably would when we were younger.”

Second year Marketing student George Munden gives a male perspective on the ban, “I’m not sure what my view is, but I think there are probably more important uni and local issues to debate than this one.”

What do you think? Are you pleased/angry about the ban? Or are you not at all bothered? Have your say in the comments section below.