Tributes paid to Bournemouth student who died unexpectedly

Tayla Woodard, 20, died on Sunday at a house in South West London

Police were yesterday investigating the death of an “exceptionally talented” trainee showbiz journalist found collapsed at a house.

Tayla Woodard, 20, was rushed to hospital after suddenly falling ill in the early hours of Sunday.

The third-year media undergraduate – described by friends as popular, bubbly and a “beautiful soul” – was pronounced dead half an hour later.

Tayla was in the final year of her multimedia journalism degree at Bournemouth University

Ambulance crews had arrived at an address in Worcester Park, South London, after reports of a woman falling violently ill.

A 21-year-old man was also taken to hospital as a precaution but police said he has since been discharged.

Detectives are treating the cause of death as “unexplained” after a post mortem failed to reveal the cause of Tayla’s death.

Tayla, originally from Wadebridge in Cornwall, was studying for a Bachelor of Arts degree in multimedia journalism at Bournemouth University.

Her parents, Julia and Russell, and younger siblings Jodie and Sam, are said to be to be too distraught to discuss her death.

Friends said she had a passion for news and showbiz journalism, having studied for A-levels in photography and English literature and language.

Tayla also wrote regular articles for The Rock.

Pal Molly Tregidgo said she and Tayla had been best friends from the day they first met in Wadebridge, nearly 13 years ago.

Molly said: “She had an infectious smile and the ability to make you laugh so hard you’d be clutching your stomach wishing you could stop, but never succeeding.

“She also was incredibly motivated and worked hard between her manic social schedule, which is why she was so popular and loved by all those who met her.

“I will always smile thinking about the crazy memories we had together.”

Another grieving friend, Eliza Hogg, described Tayla as the “happiest, funniest and brightest best friend that anyone could ever hope for”.

She said: “Tayla’s infectious character and laugh made her so popular among so many people.

“Not a day will pass when I won’t think of Tayla and smile remembering all of the beautiful memories that I, and so many other people, were lucky enough to share with her.

“I feel so grateful to have spent the time with her that I did, and cannot find the words to do such a beautiful soul justice.”

Scotland Yard said officers are trying to establish whether Tayla’s death was suspicious. They are yet to make any arrests.

A spokesman said: “Police were called by London Ambulance Service at approximately 5:50am on Sunday to reports of a woman taken ill at a residential address in Worcester Park.

“The woman, aged 20, was taken to a south London hospital where she died at 6:22 am.

“A post-mortem examination took place on Monday. No cause of death was given and we await the results of further tests.

“A man, aged 21, was taken to a south London hospital from the same address as a precaution. He has since been discharged.

“The death is being treated as unexplained at this stage.”

Cheryl Mewton, director of studies at the Truro College in Cornwall, was among those who paid tribute to Tayla.

She said: “Tayla was an A-level student at Truro College who completed her studies in 2011 with exceptional results.

“She was a gifted and talented student, who was mature and motivated. Our thoughts are with her family at this very sad time.”

Karen Fowler-Watt, a lecturer at Bournemouth Uni’s journalism course, added: “Tayla was a very hard-working and impressive student who was popular with her peers.

“We have spoken to her family to offer our sympathies and we are also providing support for her fellow students at this difficult time.”