Prospectus vs Reality: Bournemouth edition

Is Bournemouth Uni life as great as the prospectus leads us to believe?

tabbanner

Choosing what university to attend is a scary and complicated matter. The prospectus is designed to give an insight to what life on campus really is like, without putting you off.

You may think that the prospectus is full of lies and deceit but The Tab is here to assure you that Bournemouth University really is the bees’ knees.

Results day

Expectation

After reading this quote, I was preparing myself to be pretty darn happy with my offer from BU.

Reality

And happy I was. Upon receiving my somewhat disappointing results, I was thrilled to see that Bournemouth were willing to take me in.

The town

Expectation

Living by the sea sounded quaint and lovely. The prospectus made the beach look like a postcard you’d send to your gran. I worried that the reality would not live up to the expectation.

Reality

However I was not disappointed. The beaches here are splendid, especially on a summers day with an ice cream in hand.

Accommodation

Expectation

Surely, I thought, no student had a room so neat and tidy.

Reality

If they photographed a real student’s bedrooms, prospective students would run a mile. Clothes strewn everywhere, books all over the floor and used plates and mugs on every surface.

Clubbing

Expectation

I was excited to see what clubs Bournemouth had to offer and the prospectus informed me about The Old Fire Station.

Reality

Aftermath of Lollipop: clutching a bottle of Tropicana and deciding an up the nose shot would really show off my best angle

Now. I’ve never had a photo taken in the Fire Station because I try to go there as seldom as possible. Maybe I’m not a fan because I fell down the stairs there on my first night of freshers, or because last time I went there a stranger licked my face. Many other people seem to love it so maybe I’m missing something.

However there is plenty of other cracking clubs like Halo and Lost Gardens to go to so don’t let that put you off!

So, to all you prospective students thinking of coming to Bournemouth: DO IT. It’s fab.