Why would guys not be allowed to take selfies?

Why guys taking selfies is somehow just a bit grim

facebook guy selfie instagram masculinity selfie Students

After a night out, me and some friends had the usual where-did-you-finish-the-night catch up session. One of them had ended up with some guy she didn’t know, but was too drunk to remember whether he was hot or not.

So we started gathering all the information we could to find him on Facebook. And when we finally found him after an intensive stalking session, tragic happened: his profile picture was a topless selfie.

After a good laugh, I started thinking: What’s actually wrong with guys taking selfies? Do we have the monopoly of vanity?

I understand that selfies have always been a girl thing, our way to share our new make up attempt, our new haircut or just to make time pass. We would be like ‘I look great today, that would be a shame not to remember it forever’. And imagining guys acting like us surely feels weird.

What about this is tolerable?

But girls, it’s 2014 so get over it! The neglected and mysterious strong man with a three-days beard that will protect you forever doesn’t exist I’m afraid. Or not anymore.

Today’s man is likely to use as many beauty products as you, to partly or even fully shave everywhere and to go to the gym several times a week. He’ll probably put on his duck face when you take pictures together. His showers are as long as yours and you’ll have to wait for him when you go shopping together. True story.

So sorry guys, but this whole selfie thing is just another step in the loss of your masculinity, which is now obviously a thing of the past. But please, no topless selfies, because you’re taking it too far.