The Student Shout: what you missed

A round up of all the motions that passed and fell during this year’s Student Shout.

Bournemouth Bournemouth University Democracy Murray Simpson Student Shout Student's Union Students SUBU Vote

The Student’s Union at Bournemouth University (SUBU) held its annual democratic event this Friday on Talbot Campus.

The Student Shout, as it’s called, gathered students in Allsebrook Lecture Theatre to vote for no less than 32 motions regarding student life.

SUBU’s president, Murray Simpson, said there had been a record of participation this year with 118 students voting. “I am very impressed, this shows that people do care.

“This procedure is more democratic, and allowed us to raise some really controversial issues like pole dancing on campus.”

After more than two hours of debate, here is what has been decided:

In the Executive Council, students voted to give delegated authority for the Executive Committee to approve the amendments to the By-Laws (in consultation with the four councils).

They also approved a motion for SUBU to lobby the University to class Wednesdays as Activities Days. This motion would allow students to take part in more extracurricular activities, as they are “essential for your employability”, said Simpson.

Another one aiming at rebranding Reading Week as Activities week fell, as some students do not get a Reading Week. Also, a tab on MyBU dedicated to SUBU links, and more broadly a page in which all websites useful for students, should be created soon.

The last issue of the Executive Council, regarding whether or not BU should stop offering pole dancing fitness, was the most controversial of the debate. Touching to broader issues such as gender equality and the objectification of the body, it closed with Ebony Stanberry speaking. The SUBU’s Women’s Officer and pole dancer powerfully rejected the motion, which fell.

118 students gathered to vote for motions regarding student life at Bournemouth University. © SUBU

Also passed were an idea for a recycling bin near the boundary roundabout entrance and a voluntary donation at the Old Fire Station’s Lollipop for the Philippines as part of the Activities Council motions.

SUBU will work on having university buses on weekends to enable students with the Key to come on campus and do activities or study at the library. It will also allow people who live in the Student Village to go to the town centre without having to pay extra money for the town buses.

An accommodation fair should be organised soon to help students find an accomodation. This would be a part of the “Don’t Rent Yet” scheme promoted by SUBU in the past few weeks.

An “anonymous marking of assignments” motion fell while another one for exam results to be released as soon as possible after the first semester, strongly backed up by Education Vice President John Gusman, passed.

Finally, the last part-time officers were elected: Mobee Adekunle (EBC Social and Activities Officer), Bethany Dare (Special Interest Clubs and Societies Officer) and Reece Pope (Health and Wellbeing Officer).

For those who missed it, you not only missed a great chance to participate in uni life. You also missed a free pizza.