Plans for Bournemouth beach redevelopment fail to excite students

£90 million scheme to dress up seafront met with apathy

Last month’s seafront schedule has been announced to turn Bournemouth into a tourist spectacle.

Keeping in check with the saying ‘out with the old and in with the new’, there are now plans for 17 brand new beach huts at Alum Chine to be ready for next May. For those of you who really know your beach huts, these are said to be somewhat ‘super’.

So what other plans does Bournemouth council have in store you may be wondering?

Well as if fairground rides weren’t enough, they are planning (and this is truly mind-blowing) to move the rides onto the seafront. Not quite what we were expecting Bournemouth, but hey, top marks for creativity.

First on the councils list for the ‘world class resort’ is to make the link between the Pier and the Lower Gardens more approachable.

Now I’m no Cub Scout, but I think I can manage that without the use of signposting. However plans do seem to be moving ahead rather quickly, with winter time 2014 making way for landscape work to start.

The scheme is set to cost £90 million, (these huts must be fantastic) and aims to proportion off four different sections surrounding the sea front.

Lastly, as if the excitement couldn’t be more heart pounding, interactive lights will twinkle at night time for a more aesthetically appealing atmosphere. No comment.

Here’s what some Bournemouth University students had to say:

“They need water sports not super beach huts”- Zahir Ahmed, 1st year Games Tech student

“They’ve already wasted £75 million on a welcome sign that lights up”- Naomi Journeaux, 1st year Social work student

“I think they are all silly gooses for spending that type of money on a revamp”- Gareth Fitzgerald, 1st year Animation student

What do you make of the planned redevelopment? Comment below and let us know.