Here are all the pubs in Selly Oak showing the 2022 Qatar World Cup

There are so many to choose from, you won’t have to miss a game!

The FIFA World Cup 2022, held in Qatar, will be played from 20th November until 18th December. Still seething from England’s disappointing finish during the Euros 2021, fans across the nation will be watching this year’s World Cup on the edge of their seats. As students of England’s second city and self-proclaimed pub-lovers, here are all the Selly pubs showing the World Cup to ensure you stay up to date.

The Bear and Staff

The Bear and Staff is located on Lodge Hill Road Selly Oak. Their Facebook page describes the establishment as: “A great pub with a fabulous atmosphere. Enjoy our weekly events, live music and great food.” However, most importantly, they will be showing the World Cup games.

The Goose

The Goose is located in the heart of Selly Oak, on Bristol Road. The Goose, recently undergoing a huge refurbishment, is showing all of the World Cup. They have even included a helpful itinerary of all the games being shown, World Cup, and otherwise, on the ‘Live Sports‘ section of their website.

The Bristol Pear

The Bristol Pear is located on Bristol Road. The pub has helpfully arranged a ‘World Cup 2022’ tab on their website so you can book a table to watch the matches. Proclaiming: “There’s nowhere better for watching live sport than Bristol Pear, with an exhilarating football atmosphere, refreshing beer in the taps, and great offers on a wide selection of food and drink!”

Joe’s Bar

Joe’s Bar is located within the Guild of Students, the heart of campus. Joe’s is in the perfect location to pop by and watch the game after a lecture. With a wide range of food and drinks available you can even grab some dinner while you watch.

Circo

Circo is located on Bristol Road. Typically known for being the height of Selly’s nightlife, Circo is showing all of the 2022 World Cup. As advertised on their Instagram account, they are doing brunch deals during the game. What more could you need?

Ali Baba Coffee House

Ali Baba Coffee House is located opposite Aldi on Bristol Road. Owned by 2011 UoB alumni, Ali Baba is a great place to have a cocktail and watch the matches.

The Bratby

The Bratby is located within the Staff House on the University of Birmingham campus. The hidden gem of campus, The Bratby is showing all of the games, ready for you to pop by after lectures.

Brook’s Sports Bar

Brook’s Sports Bar is located on Aston Webb Boulevard above Starbucks. It is the perfect location between Selly Oak, student accommodation and campus, so no matter where you are, watching the match will be a short walk away.

The Duck & Scholar

The Duck & Scholar is located in Shackleton in Vale village. The Duck is cheap and cheerful and within walking distance for all those on the Vale.

At home

This may seem obvious, but if you want a cheaper option, but still want to watch the games with your mates, you could host a viewing party at your house. Grab some drinks and snacks at the shop and set up camp at home, cheap, cosy and convenient, what could be better? All games are being shown for free on BBC One. Maybe it is time to get that TV license?

It is worth noting that in light of the humanitarian concerns raised about Qatar, we are in support of the England team and not the host country itself. Football should be an inclusive space no matter your race, gender or sexuality.

Stories recommended by this writer:

â‹…Venues in the Gay Village are boycotting the World Cup

â‹…Meet the ‘Pearfect Quizzers,’ The UoB quiz team who starred on Eggheads

â‹…Strikes are back this month at the University of BirminghamÂ