Meet some of the most niche societies at UoB

There’s a society for what?

At the University of Birmingham, there are over 300 different societies, student groups and associations.

There is something for everyone, whether you’re interested in Harry Potter, have a love for pasta or enjoy rollerskating.

Here is a selection of the most interesting and unique societies at the University of Birmingham that you may not have known existed.

PotterSoc

Harry Potter society is for like-minded Potter lovers to come together to discuss the stories and socialise. They run a range of activities including Harry Potter quizzes, games, movie nights, bingo and scavenger hunts.

Look out for their trip to the Harry Potter Studios later this year!

Harry Potter society welcomes anyone, whether you are a Harry Potter superfan or someone who has only seen one of the films.

Bad Film Society

Bad Film is a society where people come together to laugh about movies that are terrible, but in the best way. They might have been made to be intentionally bad or just happened to turn out chaotic but either way, there’s a great atmosphere where people can cheer or clap at the best bits throughout the movie.

During each movie, they run a drawing competition. People can draw comedic images which are based on the movie being shown. The winner of the competition gets a fun prize in reference to the movie.

This society is perfect for people wanting a relaxing evening with friends whilst laughing at bad films.

Hookers and Stitchers

It is Hookers and Stitchers’ first year as a society and they welcome any yarn-based activity! Their ‘stich and bitch’ sessions every Thursday are popular, as members bring their current projects and chat whilst crafting.

Hookers and Stitchers welcome all abilities and they’re happy to teach beginners too.

Crocheting and knitting has massively increased in popularity in recent months. By joining Hookers and Stitchers you can learn to make items of clothing, whilst also being sustainable and eco-friendly.

Pasta Society

Pasta society holds craft sessions with pasta and even make ravioli from scratch. They also have pasta pub quizzes and provide a variety of dishes to try out!

They have multiple collabs with other societies, including their ‘supper and sesh’ with VegSoc. Pasta society also hold events with ItalianSoc, BakeSoc and PotterySoc so there really is something for everyone.

Girl Gamers

Girl Gamers Society is a new society for 2022/23 connecting women, non-binary and gender non-conforming students who love video games.

It doesn’t matter whether you enjoy RPGs, life sims, or Animal Crossing as you are sure to make new gamer friends at their online and offline events.

They hold online gaming socials playing Girl Gamer’s favourites altogether, along with in person meet-ups and sober socials.

DogSoc

DogSoc allows all dog lovers to come together, and volunteer and fundraise for Birmingham Dogs Home.

They hold plenty of exciting events throughout the year, including picnics where they play doggy bingo and painting dog planters at pottery cafes. They often meet up for dog walks too.

Look out because at Christmas they are doing puppy yoga!

NerdSoc

NerdSoc’s motto is everything is interesting! They are the perfect society if you want to ramble about current hyper-fixations or simply share something you are passionate about.

They meet every Tuesday from 7-10pm for ‘NerdBabbles’ which begin with a discussion on a topic but often end up anywhere. NerdSoc get involved in ‘Acts of Kindness’ often towards the planet, other people or themselves. Activities include recycled origami, working on mental health and spreading positive messages around campus.

They run film screenings, quiz nights and chill-out sessions with colouring-in and games.

Look out for NerdSoc’s visit to Comic Con in Birmingham this year!

BURS

BURS is UoB’s new rollerskating society. They offer a variety of activities, including indoor roller discos, outdoor skates and lots of socials for everyone to enjoy.

They pride themselves on helping people gain confidence on skates and people of all abilities can join. They recently received a grant to buy rental skates so sessions are now available for those that don’t even own skates!

It’s a fun and relaxed way to meet new people through skating.

Related stories recommended by this writer

•The cheapest flights abroad from Birmingham in your reading week

•Here are some UoB landlord horror stories we can all relate to

•It’s official – Birmingham is one of the best cities to go pumpkin picking for Halloween