Taylor Swift’s Midnights lyrics that speak directly to UoB students

‘Did all the extra credit, then got graded on a curve’ speaks volumes.

Taylor Swift released thirteen new tracks on her tenth studio album Midnights on Friday 21st October at 5am GMT. The album is a contemporary pop infusion of love, heartbreak and self-discovery, through the concept of thirteen sleepless nights she has experienced.

While the hard-hitting lyricism seems completely foreign to UoB students, some of the similarities are uncanny.

“Get it off your chest, get it off my desk”

Lavender Haze

I, too, would like to throw all of my assignments off my desk and into the bin.

“The burgundy on my t-shirt when you splashed your wine into me” 

Maroon

The university has practically every sports team and society wear red for solidarity.

“Midnights become my afternoons”

Anti-Hero

Pulling an all-nighter in the library is a must during exam season, especially with the Selly Express conveniently dropping everyone off at their doorstep.

“Like snow on the beach, weird but fucking beautiful”

Snow On The Beach

Seeing what theme every sports team’s social secs pick to humiliate their freshers is probably the highlight of sports night.

“Something different bloomed, writing in my room”

You’re On Your Own, Kid

Being forced to study at home after seeing the Teaching and Learning building packed.

“Pageant queens and big pretenders”

Midnight Rain

The sheer number of scammers trying to sell fake tickets on Fab n’ Fresh Facebook is ridiculous.

“Did you ever have someone kiss you in a crowded room?”

Question…?

The Guild on Sports Night, especially in the underground, is a hooking-up breeding ground.

“I don’t start shit, but I can tell you how it ends. Don’t get sad, get even”

Vigilante Shit

The sweet transition from fresher to second year in a sports team, as the cycle of humiliation lives on.

“So put me in the basement”

Bejeweled

If you’re not spending your entire night in the underground of the Guild (the best floor), just go home.

“You know how much I hate that everybody just expects me to bounce back”

Labyrinth

Skipping Tuesday’s lectures on a weekly basis because of Circo Monday and ruining your attendance.

“And I keep my side of the street clean, you wouldn’t know what I mean”

Karma

The year-long battle between the messy flatmate and the clean one.

“Outside they’re push and shoving”

Sweet Nothing

Almost breaking your ribs in the Circo queue at a mere 9pm is part of the UoB experience.

“If you fail to plan, you plan to fail”

Mastermind

Save yourself the embarrassment and do your pre-reading, the worst feeling is turning up to your 9am seminar still drunk and very confused.

Related stories recommended by this writer

•Birmingham Uni charges students £10 to replace ID cards, but they only cost £1.73 to make

•Here are some tips to reduce energy bills this winter

•Birmingham UCU is balloting members on further strike action

Featured image via Youtube