Here are all the events happening at Birmingham for Black History Month

In celebration of Black history and culture this October

October is Black History Month October in the UK and this year the theme is Time for Change: Action Not Words.

The University of Birmingham is hosting events in celebration of Black culture and history, ranging from talks to film screenings. Here is a rundown of some events you can get involved with.

Old Joe lit up – third-fifth October

From the third to the fifth of October, Old Joe changed colour from red to green then yellow to symbolise the colours of Black History Month.

Black history photo album – all month

The University of Birmingham Cadbury Research Library is the home of rare books, manuscripts, archives, photographs and associated artefacts. It has launched its updated Black History Flickr album which can be viewed online.

Lecture on the Black Heroes of Mathematics – 10th October 13:00 – 14:00   

Nira Chamberlain, a Fellow of the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications will be hosting a lecture in the Aston Webb Building about the contributions of Black heroes to Mathematics. Book here.

Image Credit:@ch_nira

Black heritage Careers panel event – 12th October 12:00 – 13:00 

This Zoom event aims to give Black students insight into organisations dedicated to supporting them This includes internships and mentoring programmes. It’ll also be joined by University alumni who will share their career journeys.

Talk on Black Astronomers and Astrophysicists – 19th October 13:00 – 14:30

Theron Carmichael from the Royal Observatory, Edinburgh will give a talk about his experience in Astronomy in the Poynting Building. Afterwards, attendees will have the opportunity to meet him and ask questions.

Exposed – film screening – 20th October 18:00 – 20:30

Exposed is a documentary about the experiences of nurses and midwives of racism before, during and after the pandemic. Afterwards there will be a panel discussion to reflect on the film and the general experience of working in the NHS.

Anti-Racism in Higher Education – 21st October 11:00 – 12:15

Dr Arun Verma is a Senior Manager for Diversity and Inclusion at the Royal Academy of Engineering and a Tutor at the University of Dundee. He will be discussing his his recent book ‘Anti-Racism in Higher Education: An Action Guide for Change.’

Image Credit:@dr_arunverma

Aunt Jen and Letters Home by Professor Paulette Ramsay, at the Exchange 21st October 12:30 – 14:00

Jen migrated to England as part of the Windrush generation but her young daughter, Sunshine, remained in Jamaica. Aunt Jen and Letters Home tells their stories through diary entries and letters. Paulette will be reading from her books and discussing Black writing, followed by a Q&A, book signing and the opportunity to purchase her books. Book here. 

Women’s Network book club: Love in Colour by Bolu Babalola 27th October 12:00 – 13:00

Love in Colour by Bolu Babalola is a celebration of romance in all of its forms that focuses on Black African characters, from a high-born Nigerian goddess to a powerful Ghanaian spokeswoman. Register here for the Zoom Book Club event.

Here to Stay, at the Exchange 27th October 19:00 – 21:30

The Here To Stay exhibition by Inès Elsa Dalal commemorates the 70th anniversary of the arrival of HMS Empire Windrush and the birth of the NHS. You can hear about the experiences of the Black, Brown and migrant nurses and midwives who have spoken out about racism before, during and after the pandemic.

Featured image via Instagram @dr_arunverma and @boluberry and Twitter @ch_nira

Related stories recommended by this writer

•Calling all freshers: A definitive guide to being a University of Birmingham student

•Rating all the clubs in Birmingham so you don’t have to waste your time

•‘A space for all people’: What students thought of Birmingham Pride 2022