The Birmingham German Christmas Market is back for 2021

It’s mulled wine season, baby!

It’s that time of year again to grab your mates, your wooly gloves, and head down to Birmingham’s Frankfurt Christmas Market.

Celebrating its 21st year, the market opened this week and will be here in Brum until December 23rd. It’s the centrepiece of Christmas in the city, and a must see whilst at Uni.

The Christmas market is the largest in Europe outside of Germany and Austria, with over 5.5 million visitors in 2019.

The market brings with it traditional stalls offering handmade toys, Christmas decorations, original jewellery and crafty bits and bobs, which are all the perfect items for your house secret Santa!

Don’t forget to check out the food stalls where you can enjoy the best hot gluhwein (mulled wine), schnitzel and spicy sausage.

You’ll also be able to scran hot chocolate, Bailey’s, gingerbread and the traditional German stollen.

Don’t miss out on the signature mug you can get with your hot chocolate

The warm crepes are a hit

It’s open from 10am to 9pm every day, except on November 14 (Remembrance Sunday) when it will be open from 1-9pm.

Only a few minutes walk from New Street Station, it’s right on our doorstep – the perfect place to prove to your parents that Brum isn’t all that bad.

Ho Ho Ho

The Big Wheel and Ice Skate Birmingham also return until January 9th, located at Centenary Street, a few minutes walk from the market. Although it will be closed on December 25th, be sure to enjoy a session of outdoor ice skating this winter before you head home for Christmas break. Try not to fall on your face though.

Hope you’re not scared of heights

With the pandemic preventing the market from opening last year, you can finally make the most of the festive season and see what Birmingham has to offer in the winter months.

So grab your mulled wine and get those big sausages down you.

Recent stories recommended by this writer:

• Birmingham student ‘spiked by injection’ at the Guild’s Fab ‘N’ Fresh night

• Snobs confirm four cases of spiking over Halloween weekend

• UoB’s Best Dressed: Halloween Special