Old Joe is fixed and life is finally good again

He’s back with a bing bang bong

It was announced today that Old Joe, the world’s largest freestanding clocktower, was fixed after over a year.

He bonged once again, as engineers fixed the mechanism, after not being able to during lockdown.

Cranes have been seen around Old Joe this week, with the immediate areas around it cordoned off for construction to complete the job.

Attaching the hands

In an Instagram story posted to the @unibirmingham page, an engineer explained that the mechanism was fixed from the inside, along with the hands removed to be cleaned and repainted.

With one hand reaching heights of 175cm and weighing almost 50kg, it is no surprise it has taken a few months to complete this.

Finally these pictures can be taken again!

Old Joe is the focal point of campus, which was built in 1908, and has allegedly served as inspiration for the Eye of Sauron in J.R.R Tolkein’s Lord of the Rings, and the clock tower in Monsters University.

However, as heard by verified sources, the clock is still chiming a minute early. Whether this will be fixed soon is a mystery and only time will tell.

Related Stories recommended by this writer:

• We spoke to the students representing Birmingham on this year’s University Challenge

• Sports Night is back and the outfits did not disappoint

• Only a true Selly Oak resident can get 12/15 on this quiz