McDonald’s drive-thru restaurant will be opening in Selly Oak Shopping Park

The fast food restaurant will open later this year

McDonald’s have secured planning permission from Birmingham City Council to build a new branch in Selly Oak retail park. Let’s face it a Mcdonald’s in Selly is long over due.

There will be a drive-thru lane as well as a restaurant seating 113 people.

The fast food outlet will be built on the site next to M&S Food, Unit 11, which is currently unoccupied. The retail park initially opened in September 2018, in the redevelopment of the 30-acre Battery Park.

As if our regular trips to big Sainsbury’s and Selly retail park couldn’t get any more exciting, Birmingham City Council has granted McDonald’s planning permission to build a brand new drive-thru restaurant at the shopping complex.

The plans propose changes to the pedestrian access to Selly Oak Shopping Park, reconfiguration of the carpark to accommodate the drive-thru lane and “partial demolition of the rear of the unit”.

McDonald’s believe that “the reuse of the existing building with limited alteration and the inclusion of a drive-thru lane is good use of the land.”

The new restaurant is expected to create over 65 new jobs.

A statement made on behalf of the fast food chain said: “McDonald’s has implemented a major brand refresh, both in terms of its product range and the design and fit-out of its restaurants. This application forms part of that overall strategy.”

Alongside Selly’s massive Sainsbury’s, the new McDonald’s will join student favourites Nando’s and Greggs as well as Costa, Wilko, JD, Superdrug and M&S Food.

I think most students would agree, a new Maccies is most definitely “a good use of the land”.