LAB 11 to host a 30-hour reopening rave after receiving a 10K Covid fine

The reopening parties will last from Friday to Sunday

LAB 11 is planning their “largest ever weekend programme” of events to celebrate reopening post Covid.

The venue were fined £10, 000 in October for breaking Coronavirus rules.

The Digbeth nightclub, voted “Best UK Club Venue”, has raised over £35, 000 through their #SAVELAB11 crowdfunding campaign.

A LAB 11 advert describes that the reopening event will be the underground venue’s “largest ever weekend programme” and their “first proper rave, almost one year to the date of being closed due to Covid-19.”

The club’s social media states, “as part of this special occasion we will be bringing the biggest brands in Birmingham together for a full weekend, close to 30 hours of partying Friday-Sunday.”

LAB 11 hopes to reopen on Friday 2 April, although, according to their crowdfunding page, this date is provisional and dependent on the venue being “legally allowed to trade at full capacity, without social distancing restrictions.”

The plans come after the Digbeth club, a favourite amongst UoB students, was fined a fixed penalty notice of £10,000 by West Midlands Police for breaking Coronavirus restrictions and hosting a marquee rave for 120 people in October.

The club were criticised for “trying to pass off” their marquee rave as an outdoor event, with the police warning: “This isn’t a game anymore, people are dying”. LAB 11 are now undergoing a legal battle with West Midlands Police to fight the “unjust” fine.

After launching a crowdfunding campaign, “#SAVELAB11”, the venue has raised over £35, 000 in a bid to be able to reopen after Covid restrictions are lifted, offering clubbers t-shirts, tickets to their reopening weekend, and their own rooftop party in return for donations.

LAB 11’s Facebook page claimed that “the money raised has played a huge role in the venue’s survival”, with the team writing: “We cannot put into words how thankful we are for all your support and generous donations”.