Vice-Chancellor Sir David Eastwood is retiring

An email is circulating announcing his retirement

An email from Sir David Eastwood announcing his retirement is currently circulating Fab N Fresh.

He is set to retire at the end of the calendar year after 12 years in the position of Vice-Chancellor.

Eastwood states that he is “confident that, together, we have taken the University to a better place”.

The Vice-Chancellor states in his email that his retirement will allow him “to pursue other opportunities and interests” as well as spending time with his family.

A new Vice-Chancellor will be appointed by the Pro-Chancellor, Mervyn Walker.

Just last year, Sir David Eastwood refused to take a pay cut to his £450,000 pay package despite the financial pressure the University has been placed under during the pandemic.

Despite, Vice Chancellors at other Russell Group universities taking a pay cut, including Edinburgh, Nottingham, Manchester, Imperial College London, Liverpool, Cardiff, London School of Economics, Bristol, York, and King’s College London.

Among these universities some donated their salaries directly to student hardship funds including Imperial College and Bristol.

Sir David Eastwood concludes his email promising for his continued “passionate commitment, assiduity, and leadership” as he knows “of no other way”.

Comments on the Fab N Fresh post are already calling on The Guild to ensure that students have representation in the appointment of a new Vice-Chancellor.