UoB releases plan for rapid testing site starting next week

Booking slots are available every 10 minutes

Plans for a rapid testing site for students to be tested before returning home for Christmas have been released today.

The testing site in the Great Hall, will be available for all students from Wednesday 2 December to Wednesday 9 December (including weekends) for students without symptoms, and will provide rapid results within the same day.

A booking system will be used with slots available every 10 minutes, starting at 10am and closing at 6pm everyday.

Students who decide to take a test will receive a result rapidly, and those who test positive will be expected to isolate for 10 days. However, those who test negative, need to travel home within a 24 hour window of the test.

Tests can be booked online using a university email address through this link. The university are encouraging students to book quickly as the testing facility is expected to be popular, and slots should be booked with the intention to travel home the following day.

Slots can be altered if the time or day is no longer suitable.

This testing facility is located in the Great Hall and should be used only if you believe you do not have Covid-19. Unlike the testing centre in the Sports and Fitness Centre, the lateral flow testing is only available between December 2-9.

Lateral flow tests are highly unlikely to deliver false positives as they have undergone rigorous testing. However, everyone who gets a positive test result will need to have a confirmatory test to ensure the result is correct.

FAQs on the lateral flow testing offered at the university can be found here.

Guidance and advice for students at the university concerned about the current coronavirus outbreak can be found here.

Other stories recommended by this writer:

• UoB have published their plans for students to return home for Christmas

• Circo is building a kitchen to stay open in the new tier system

• Here’s how UoB students can have a merry Christmas during lockdown