Breaking News

BREAKING: Police cars are blocking off Heeley after bus crash

It crashed through the construction barriers

A local Birmingham bus has crashed into the pavement on Bristol Road underneath the railway bridge at approximately 4.30pm.

The bus crashed through the construction barriers, blocking Bristol Road between Aston Webb Boulevard and Chapel Lane.

It appears that a car has also crashed into the bus, and fire engines and ambulances were seen alongside police on the scene.

Update: A female pedestrian has been taken to hospital with serious injuries, and Birmingham Police confirm four cars and a bus were involved.

Police have blocked off Heeley Road from the entrance on to Bristol Road all the way to the entrance to Exeter Road.

Paramedics were seen crawling under the bus, a number 63 to Frankley, which had a smashed windscreen after colliding with a lamp post.

Fire engines and ambulances were at the scene but it is not yet clear what caused the incident.

Update: Birmingham Police said on Twitter: “We’re urging drivers to avoid Birmingham’s Bristol Road at its junction with Heeley Road, near Selly Oak train station, following a serious collision.

“A pedestrian’s been taken to hospital with serious injuries after the collision, involving a bus and four cars.

“Her injuries are described as serious and the road is expected to be shut for the next few hours.

“It happened at about 4.20pm. Anyone with information has been asked to contact us via Live Chat at http://west-midlands.police.uk, quoting log 3494.”

This is a breaking story – we will give more updates as we have them. If you saw anything, message The Tab Birmingham on Facebook.