The Birmingham Tab is recruiting new writers and we want you!

Join our virtual open meeting on 2nd October

Written by Birmingham students, for Birmingham students, we’re looking for new writers, meme-makers, video editors to come and join our team.

You may have read our articles, or enjoyed following our memes on Instagram. We are open to anyone from people interested in pursuing a career in journalism after uni to people that enjoy making new memes. 

Come and join us virtually for our online open meeting on Friday 2 October at 5pm to find out what it is like to write for The Tab and what The Tab is all about. Click on the Facebook event to say you are joining us and to find out the details for the zoom call. 

What is The Tab?

The Tab is a student news site, breaking the biggest news stories on campus. When Vice-Chancellor Professor David Eastwood refused to take a pay cut, when a UoB student wrote a dissertation on Fiat 500 Twitter and when a Cannabis farm was discovered in Selly  we were the first to cover it.

Yes a dissertation on Fiat 500 Twitter did happen!

As a student writer, your stories will be shared on The Birmingham Tab Facebook page to an audience of almost 15,000 students. Plus, hundreds of original Tab news stories make national press; if you’ve ever heard of the Warwick group chat, or the Cambridge student who set fire to a £20 note in front of a homeless man, then you already know the amazing work that journalists for The Tab are capable of.

Why should I write for The Birmingham Tab?

Writing for The Birmingham Tab is the best way to get your articles out there to the world – you’ll reach tens-of-thousands of readers and gain writing skills.

You’ll also be supported every step of the way by our very own Assistant Editor, normally based at Tab HQ in London before Miss Rona arrived. They will provide training in the basics of reporting, and quality advice on how to make your writing stand out, including help on media law. 

The Tab is also great for your CV, and Tab alumni have gone on to work at Vice, Buzzfeed, BBC, The Times, The Telegraph and Vogue, Cosmopolitan and The Sun.

We’re particularly encouraging students from minority backgrounds to sign up. If you feel like journalism isn’t typically accessible for people from your background, please do get in touch. No experience is needed, and you’ll have guidance from experienced editors to get you up and running, whether news or features is your thing. You don’t even need to fill out a lengthy application – just get drop us a message if you’re interested and we’ll get you writing.

How can I get involved?

It’s simple. If you are interested:

Tell us that you are attending our virtual open meeting via our Facebook event.

DM us on our Instagram.

Message our Facebook page.

You can write as little or as often as you like. You don’t need any experience, and there’s so many things to get involved with – whether it’s news, features, memes, social media, we’d love to have you on board!

Come and join us at our virtual meetings on (include date and time)

If you have any questions, or can’t make the open meeting, message one of our editors, David or Amy