UoB is planning for students to return as normal despite the new Birmingham COVID-19 restrictions

UoB say rise in infection rates is ‘not being driven in educational settings’

From Tuesday in light of the new restrictions , you and your flatmates in Birmingham are legally not permitted to socialise with people from other household bubbles, this applies to both inside and outside your accommodation.

Coronavirus infections have risen to 85.4 per 100,000 people in Birmingham, a significant increase from 35 the week before. This is now the second highest COVID-19 transmission rate in England.

UoB updated their advice on Friday after the new COVID-19 guidelines for Birmingham were released. “Education is not affected by the restrictions, and all nurseries, schools, colleges and universities are expected to continue to operate as planned.”

UoB released a statement on Friday. “We understand that staff and students may be concerned about the impact of the latest announcement about the introduction of additional local restrictions across the city of Birmingham following a continuing rise in the number of positive COVID-19 cases in the city.”

UoB continued “It is important to note that this rise in infection rates is being driven by social interactions between households and not in workplaces nor educational settings.”

“These additional local restrictions are in addition to the government’s latest national policy on restricted gatherings of more than six people indoors or outdoors and means that from Tuesday 15 September people who live in Birmingham will not be able to mix socially with any other households, indoors or in private gardens, except those in a support bubble. These additional restrictions will be kept under review and will be in place for an initial two weeks.”

UoB highlighted that education is not affected by the restrictions, including universities. “We have already put measures in place to ensure that campus can open safely for staff and students, and anticipate that most of our activities will continue as planned.”

The measures implemented so far to ensure student and staff safety at UoB include a free face mask given to each student and a COVID-19 testing facility open on campus.

Related stories recommended by the writer

•Snobs is reopening, but only with sit-down events

•Every Brum student will be getting a UoB-branded face mask in September

•Which pubs in Selly are open?