Which pubs in Selly are open?

Currently only The Goose and The Bristol Pear are open

Pubs and restaurants have been given the greenlight to reopen since last Saturday, however not all pubs in the official student hub of Selly have reopened. 

So far in Selly The Goose and The Bristol Pear are open with The Bristol Pear opening on Friday for the first time from 12-10, however The Soak remains closed. 

The Birmingham Tab spoke to Ruby, one of the students that has been in The Goose since the reopening  “the drinks were brought to our table,” she told The Birmingham Tab.

The Goose

The Bristol Pear

The Bristol Pear have promised to introduce extra safety measures to align with social distancing. This includes more staff with specific roles – a host, a drinks dispenser etc. “We have removed half the amount of furniture and will ensure a lower atmosphere, with groups no bigger than six,” a spokesperson from The Bristol Pear told The Birmingham Tab. 

The Pear have also promised an app to order drinks in order to lower contact at the bar. “Staff will be trained to accommodate to the new regulations, using less cash, and a booking system when possible. However, they will still be allowing walk-ins,” they told The Birmingham Tab. 

The Soak  

On The Soak’s website they stated “we can’t wait to welcome you back. However for now our pub remains closed until further notice. Despite the Government announcing Pubs can open from the 4th July, we are unfortunately remaining closed for now. We continue to work in the background on getting open in the future, so please keep an eye out for further updates.”

The Birmingham Tab contacted the Soak for a response for when they will reopen but there was no response. 

The Goose

The Goose has been open this week after the government’s official reopening of pubs last Saturday. The Birmingham Tab spoke to a student who has been in the reopened pub. 

Ruby, a UoB student and customer in the reopened pub mentioned the differences of her experience from what she would normally expect in The Goose. She revealed that The Goose asked them how many of them were in their group and they hand sanitised when entering. “There were people sitting inside and outside with the tables quite spaced out,” she said. 

“We were given the option of ordering from an app or one person from the group going up and ordering,” she told The Birmingham Tab.

Ruby mentioned how the table service was different to a usual pub experience. “The drinks were brought to our table. There were changes that were noticeable to keep us safe but it wasn’t an obstruction to a relatively normal and fun pub experience,” she said. 

Ruby highlighted The Goose was well organised and nothing compared to the scenes shown in Soho. “It was quiet, crowd controlled with social distancing measures followed while still allowing both customers to enjoy a normal pub experience and a return to business in the area,”  she said.