Image may contain: Automobile, Car, Person, Human, Vehicle, Transportation

Aston student taken off campus with ‘flu-like symptoms’ tested for coronavirus

His tests have since come back all clear

An Aston University student arriving from China has been tested for coronavirus following "flu-like" symptoms.

Aston University confirmed the incident to the Birmingham Mail after a medic in a hazmat suit was filmed outside halls of residence off James Watt Queensway on 25th January.

His results have since come back all clear.

Whilst almost 100 people have been tested across the UK, none have yet to come back as positive.

The university told The Birmingham Mail: “A student from the one of the halls of residence on campus was taken to hospital by ambulance on Saturday night.

“We understand the NHS is approaching all cases reporting flu-like symptoms with extreme caution in order to keep their ambulance crews and other employees safe.

“As the student had recently arrived in the UK from China they were tested for coronavirus as a precautionary measure. The test was negative and the student has now been discharged from hospital.

“Aston University takes the health and safety of its staff and students very seriously. We are monitoring the coronavirus situation closely and we are following guidance from Public Health England, the World Health Organisation and other relevant agencies.”

The news follows a man in Harborne being tested for coronavirus, who has since been named as Drew Bennett. Bennett is still in isolation at Queen Elizabeth Hospital.