Image may contain: People, Lecture, Speech, Chair, Furniture, Apparel, Clothing, Audience, Classroom, School, Indoors, Room, Crowd, Human, Person

The head of UoB’s Conservatives Society is telling Tories not to vote

ok hun

The Prime Minister has hidden in a fridge, the Opposition Leader is posting memes, the leader of the Lib Dems has told The Tab she is "a bit crap" at rolling joints, so naturally the Chair of University of Birmingham Conservatives has joined this madness by encouraging fellow Conservatives to not vote…at all.

In an article published by the social conservative magazine Bournbrook Magazine, the editor of the magazine and Chair of University of Birmingham Conservatives, Michael Curzon, implored fellow social conservatives to not vote in today's election.

He writes that a social Conservative's "best option is to not vote", and grew concerned by Boris Johnson's lack of plans to bring back grammar schools, his plans to increase the police force, and lamented that "Boris is an open social-liberal who has previously dismissed voters for ‘moaning’ about the increase of immigration under Labour."

Perhaps the crowning claim in the article, however, is the calling out of Boris Johnson for his philandering: "A man who will not (and perhaps cannot) even reveal how many children he has – will do any more for traditional, family-based values than Labour would?

"I found it interesting that he, and other Conservatives, responded to Labour’s plan to ditch the Married Persons Allowance in its typical amoral, neo-liberal style by highlighting the fact this would make individuals slightly less financially well-off – absolutely no mention here of the fact that this aims to further weaken the almost completely desecrated institution of marriage."

The Birmingham Tab spoke to Michael to find out more about why he's never actually voted Conservative, what his fellow committee members think, and why he thinks the Conservative Party is a lost cause.

"I won’t be voting today, and never have – the Conservative [Party] has abandoned conservatism, just as Labour has abandoned its traditional voters, and I can’t support either of them (or the smaller parties, which are equally distanced from traditional voters)."

On his position politically and his role in the society: "I’ve held, and have been open about this position since I’ve been at university. Everyone in the society (which isn’t affiliated to the Conservative Party) knows I don’t support the party, and did when I was elected President (and treasurer, the year before). Some have tried to persuade me, but have soon realised this was in vain."

So when can the Conservatives expect to win back Michael's vote? "The Conservative Party is too far gone, and is a lost cause. From the 1960s onwards, it did nothing to counter the social and moral revolution which faced our country – on many occasions, it helped this revolution along. The modern party has no interest in trying to reverse any of this – perhaps a futile effort, in any case. The Labour Party is guilty of the same."

A committee member from University of Birmingham Conservatives told The Birmingham Tab: "Michael's politics is an individual decision which doesn't involve or affect UoBC."

Looks like it's not just the average floating voter struggling for an answer today.

Image credit: Peter Tutykhin