How to get involved in vounteering at UoB

If you have time why not give it a go?

Christmas is often associated with giving and receiving gifts, but now that it's over, you could give something even more valuable to others: your time. This article hopes to shed light on some of the fantastic volunteer work that's going on at UoB. Perhaps if you have a free Monday evening or Wednesday afternoon then get down and help out! Below are short explanations of three volunteering societies from their committees.

'Buddy A Granny' – visit local care homes

Our weekly timings are Wednesday 1-2 (St. Stephens) and 3-4 (Bournbrook). We visit two care homes every week. One is St. Stephens, which is a day care centre at the church on Serpentine Road and the other is Bournbrook Manor. Typically during the visits we talk to the elderly residents, either one-on-one or in small groups. We also run other activities such as pamper sessions, quizzes and a carol concert at Christmas. The sessions are very rewarding for our volunteers as it is such a good way of giving back to the community whilst also learning about the lives of such interesting people.

Due to the limited number of spaces we are able to offer each week, we work by releasing a sign-up each week for volunteers to sign up as they wish. This allows for there to be no long-term commitments and therefore make it easier for volunteers to volunteer as it suits them. However, many of our regular volunteers can strike up special rapports with the residents, making the volunteering even more invaluable. In order to volunteer – as with any volunteering society – all we require is that you complete some brief safeguarding training supplied by the guild. Once this is completed, you can volunteer as and when you wish!

Contact details: [email protected]

Phab – do activities with disabled young adults

Phab is a weekly social club held on campus (Thursday evenings from 6.30pm) where students meet and do activities with disabled young adults in the Birmingham area. We're always looking for more volunteers and are keen to give anyone with an any for a session free-reign to lead one of the evenings and get everyone involved. The aim is not simply care but integration and removal of the stigma of disability.

Image may contain: Apparel, Clothing, Indoors, Room, Classroom, Furniture, Chair, Wood, School, Person, Human

A typical PHAB session at UoB

Contact details: [email protected]

STAR Birmingham – teach refugees English

Student Action for Refugees (STAR) is a national charity campaigning to improve the lives of refugees and asylum seekers in the UK. Here at Birmingham STAR we run many volunteering projects at a local initial accommodation centre, such as English Conversation Club, Kids Playscheme, Film Nights and Walking Tours.

We also recently set up a weekly football club! These are all great opportunities for our members to get involved and help make a difference to the community. Our volunteering schedule is as follows:

Monday Evening (weekly) – English Conversation Club (Adults and Children)

Wednesday Afternoon (weekly) – Kids Playscheme

Thursday Evening (every 2 weeks) – Film Nights

Saturday Afternoon (every 2 weeks) – Walking Tours

Sunday Afternoon/Evening (every week) – Football Club

Image may contain: People, Pants, Banner, Crowd, Text, Protest, Parade, Person, Human, Shoe, Clothing, Footwear, Apparel

We also aim to raise awareness for our three main campaigns. These are Equal Access to university, #FamiliesTogether and These Walls Must Fall. There are also plenty of fundraising and social events for everyone to get involved with!

If you are interested in volunteering with STAR Birmingham please email [email protected] Check out our Facebook page @STARbrum16 and Twitter [email protected] UoBSTAR to stay up to date with all our upcoming events!

If you are a volunteering group at UoB and would like to featured then contact @gregkraftman on Instagram.